Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Any body use crankbaits on 3-way rig? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Minnow

Default Any body use crankbaits on 3-way rig?

Hi,
First of all I want to thank everybody on this board for sharing their know-how: this is an incredible wealth of walleye fishing knowledge!!!
I know that most use a minnow type plug on a three way rig, does anybody use small diving type crank baits? and what length is best between the weight and the 3-way, and also to the bait?

I fish mostly on Lake Powell (deep canyon reservoir, lots of rock and clear water, some brushy coves) and in some years we do pretty well long lining wally divers of various sizes along the shoreline in the 12' to 18' foot depth range. Some years however this technique just does not work for some reason and I will be trying to down size lures but need to go deeper. I plan to use snap weights and also want to try 3 ways. I cant wait to also try trolling some bass type spinner baits through the brush!

Forage is crayfish, thread-fin and gizzard shad (and small mouth bass too?, lake is full of them) and so I think trolling flicker shads or thin fins or other small shad like or crayfish look a-like lures on a 3 way might work. Bottom bouncers just hang up and get lost, so I think a three way raised up a few feet off the bottom might be the ticket?
Tight lines
JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Keeper

Three ways work good for various applications, In a rocky enviroment it could be a good. Just a lighter test line for the dropper so you don't lose your crankbaits. Im going to be trying some snap weights myself this year, just hope I don't loose too many. They seem not to be the cheapest things out there.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Minnow

Thumbs up Any body use crankbaits on 3-way rig?

Guys and Gals,
I have been fishing 3-way rigs for many yrs and loose very little lures doing it our way:
Netcraft sells a wire tool that we take a .030 Tempered wire roll, around
$10 , and cut it off about 5 inches, put a 90 degree bend on it 3/4 of an
inch, put it in the wire machine from netcraft, I have mine screwed to a 6" by 10" pc of treated lumber, throw the lever over and
hold down tight ,make sure the wire is even to your left, make slight adjustment, start winding with the handle, till it stops, lift up and you have our wire rig w a (circle on top) and 4 inches remains, we tie the circle (hole) with flurocarbon, 8lb from Cabelas and the remaining lenght
(your choice) to the three way.
We made lots of sinkers over the yrs and always slide one or two bullet sinkers onto it, depending on how deep your fishing, onto the 4 inch wire length and bend the wire below sinkers to a 45 degree angle , and add the
lenght to your 3 way rig,
When you get hung up, up comes the rig, slide on another or two sinkers
and your fishing again, and all you lost were the sinkers.
THIS RIG REALLY WORKS , GREAT.
Keep a tight line,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Minnow

Eagle eye,
I made a bunch of my own snap weights, using alligator clips, shrink-wrap tubing and some wire and bullet weights. Did not take long to make and much cheaper than manufactured ones
JP
Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer09 View Post
Guys and Gals,
I have been fishing 3-way rigs for many yrs and loose very little lures doing it our way:
Netcraft sells a wire tool that we take a .030 Tempered wire roll, around
$10 , and cut it off about 5 inches, put a 90 degree bend on it 3/4 of an
inch, put it in the wire machine from netcraft, I have mine screwed to a 6" by 10" pc of treated lumber, throw the lever over and
hold down tight ,make sure the wire is even to your left, make slight adjustment, start winding with the handle, till it stops, lift up and you have our wire rig w a (circle on top) and 4 inches remains, we tie the circle (hole) with flurocarbon, 8lb from Cabelas and the remaining lenght
(your choice) to the three way.
We made lots of sinkers over the yrs and always slide one or two bullet sinkers onto it, depending on how deep your fishing, onto the 4 inch wire length and bend the wire below sinkers to a 45 degree angle , and add the
lenght to your 3 way rig,
When you get hung up, up comes the rig, slide on another or two sinkers
and your fishing again, and all you lost were the sinkers.
THIS RIG REALLY WORKS , GREAT.
Keep a tight line,
Breezer pretty neat idea.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Wallhanger

Check out this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB9fd...layer_embedded

I don't usually use cranks with a 3-way. But I do use it with a Miller Rig, Denver Rig or Dubuque Rig.

From what you are describing running lead core, Carolina Rigs or in-line weights in front of your cranks may be the better option over 3-way rigs.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 03-12-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 AM
jaximus

leadcore with a 3-4 ft length of flouro as a leader. you can run whatever crank you want however deep you want.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:12 AM
SPANKY 1

Default Cranks on "3 way"

We run 2 cranks on a "3 way". 24" is the 1st (sometimes larger) crank then 36" is the second. The frist 1 seems to set the depth & the second 1 just runs.
A little hard maybe to start with but it does work.
WE HAVE EVEN CAUGHT " DOUBLES"
Popular on Lake St. Clair & we use it once in a while on Lake Erie!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Spanky,
Fine if running two lures is legal on the particular body of water on which you are fishing.

Not fine, if two lures or lines are illegal on the body of water on which you are fishing.

REW
Old 03-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Slot Fish

can you use diving cranks on a 3 way rig or do they gotta be floaters? most of my cranks are divers but they all float. do you guys think divers would work if i made the line from the crank to the 3 way swivel longer? im going to be casting this rig near a wingdam tomorrow.