Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Oil filters - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 12-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Keeper

Default Oil filters

I have a T8 Yamaha. Is it a big deal to clean the oil filter on these? Does it take a dealer to clean them?

I would like to do it my self, but don't want to take on something that I would regret.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Wallhanger

The screen should be self cleaning when you drain the oil. I havn't cleaned or changed mine, no issues and I have lots of hrs. Not even sure where exactly it is. If your motor is running fine I would leave it alone besides changing the oil a lube.

BIRDDOG
Old 01-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Drifty,
As is the case with auto engines, outboard engines should be well warmed up before changing oil.

i.e. either change the oil at the lake after running the engine at a good speed for 15-20 minutes, or run the engine in the driveway on muffs for a decent interval of time to completely warm the engine and the engine oil.

The warm oil will easily and quickly drain, carrying out any issues with it as well.

On the other hand, cold oil that is thick and slow to drain, will not quickly drain, and filters etc, won't drain at all.

Take care
REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Keeper

When I used conventional oil I used to clean that screen with gasoline and a stiff parts cleaning brush, (BE VERY CAREFULL!! make sure you have no source of ignition around), its not complicated at all, just have to make sure you do clean it if using conventional oil because quite a bit of gunk collects in that screen.
Now with synthetic (Mobil 1) the screen always comes out clean as a whistle. but I still check it on every oil change.
Like mentioned above, I always warm up the motor before changing oil.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher-1 View Post
When I used conventional oil I used to clean that screen with gasoline and a stiff parts cleaning brush, (BE VERY CAREFULL!! make sure you have no source of ignition around), its not complicated at all, just have to make sure you do clean it if using conventional oil because quite a bit of gunk collects in that screen.
Now with synthetic (Mobil 1) the screen always comes out clean as a whistle. but I still check it on every oil change.
Like mentioned above, I always warm up the motor before changing oil.

How do you get at the screen?

BIRDDOG
Old 01-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Keeper

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a 9.9 NOT a T8, the oil strainer/screen is located between the oil fill plug and the dip stick, looks like a thick white washer with a 10mm brass bolt head .
thats what it looks like when out
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ilfilter-1.jpg

I am not sure but it might be a different setup/part on a T8
sorry for misunderstanding

Last edited by fisher-1; 01-02-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Keeper

On the T8 it looks like you have to take the motor apart and get into the pan area. Am I seeing this right? It seems like an odd way to get at it.

Looking at a parts diagram, it looks like you have to drop the pan off the motor. Outside of this one design (for the lack of a better word "flaw") I really like the motor. I would like to take care of it myself if possable.

Does anyone know for sure how to get to the screen on the T8?

Last edited by Drifty4; 01-03-2010 at 07:45 PM.