Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bunk Guide Ons ...shorter or longer? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 03-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Minnow

Default Bunk Guide Ons ...shorter or longer?

New boater last year and loading was a challenge on the best of days.

The boat is 1650 and I want to get bunk guide ons.

I'm not sure whether to go with something shorter (like the 18" Ve-Ve Inc) that would fit behind the wheel or longer like the 4' that would attach either side of the wheel. I suppose I would lose function of the fender step which I tend to use.

Are shorter or longer any better in this setup.

Thanks much for your reply. Great forum, learning lots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080630.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	8902  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 04:32 AM
Wallhanger

go longer. However with better boat control the short ones are more than adequate.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

seeing the pair of center-mounted keel rollers you have on your trailer, I'd go with the long ones.

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 AM
Wallhanger

What size trailer do you have... how many pounds is it rated for? By looking at your picture it appears a little on the small size but that could be just the picture. Guide ons help for a visual when loading and maybe to help line up the boat if you are off center or if current pushes the boat off center. I have the short ones on my 1825 and the boat has never touched either one of them so far. What kind of problems are you having?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I am wondering if perhaps you aren't backing your trailer in the correcta mount.

For a trailer like yours, I first back up the trailer so that 100% of the trailer is submerged. I like to insure that all of the rollers, and bunks if on the trailer are 100% wetted down and rinsed off by the submersion.

Then, pull the trailer back up the ramp until the tops of the fenders are just above the water. Normally, this will give you a good platform for loading the boat.

If you do decide to go with a guide - use either the long or short. Generally speaking, the short guides are just fine and will keep the boat from drifting off of the trailer in case of a wind or current.

Whenever possible, lanunch and load on the side of lake or river where the current and or wind is either directly into or away from the launch. This will allow the boat to load straight, with out having any current or wind effects.

If you don't get a good centering assist from your trailer, then make a point of pulling the trailer a bit further out of the water. You should be able to glide the boat onto the first couple of rollers, and then the trailer should self center the boat for the rest of the way onto the trailer.

Good luck

REW
Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Minnow

Thank you all for your replys.

The trailer is rated 1800 lbs gross so I think that is ok.

The problem I was having was that the main keel would line up with the middle and front rollers but when winched up the rear rollers would be resting under or to the outside of the 'mini keels".

By this time, trying to clear the ramp quickly and pulled aside if with buddies we can sometimes push/rock the back over to "seat" properly.
But if the "mini keel" is on the wrong side of the rollers (on one side) it's back into the water to refloat and center by looking from the front to see where the boat sides line up between the fenders.

I'm sure not backing too deep is key, but the roller setup on the trailer does not easily "self center" itself.

Not a big boat, maybe the smaller guides would be enough.
How high along the sides would be correct height?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005 - Copy.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	8913