Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
snap weights-size/depth? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Wallhanger

Default snap weights-size/depth?

Just wanted to see what other guys are using for a snap weight system. I use a 1/2 oz snap weight. So my depth is half of the amount of line that I let out....Example- 30 ft of line out after my snap weight is 15 ft down. What other systems are some of you using? Just curious if there is a better/easier/faster or more effiecient way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Wallhanger

Nevermind, I did a search and found all kinds of info, but if someone has a system that works for them lets hear it, A guy can never have to much info
Old 06-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Wallhanger

I use that for 1 oz. of snap weight, the lure runs approximately 33% deeper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Wallhanger

I mean when you use snap weights with spinners... So the snap weight is your main means of depth gain. EX-30 ft leader ahead of a crawler harness than the snap weight(size ?) with x amount of line out
Old 06-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Wallhanger

I would also like to hear anyone's ideas this is my 1st year using snapweights, and I'd like some pointers--thx in advance
Old 06-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Wallhanger

chev, I like to use snap weights instead of inline/chain sinkers, or bottom bouncers just becasue you can get all that lead away from your bait which is great in clear water. I have always used the 1/2 oz method (I explained a few posts down). Another bonus is when it is rough out the snap weight acts as a pivot point and your bait will stay much more level in the water column even in three foot waves, given that you use a long lead like 20,30, or even 40 ft. A snap weight will also keep weeds off your bait but inlines and bottom bouncers will also keep weeds off but snap weight will keep the clump of weeds along ways away from your bait. Not much to it once you find a weight system that works for you. 1/2 oz weight seem to be the easiest, for em anyways
Old 06-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Wallhanger

Thx for info, I'll be out on Green Bay this weekend giving it a try. I'll do my best to stay outta the pros way.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Minnow

You made a comment that at 30ft of line out with 1/2 oz. snap weight you are 15ft down....if you want to go deeper...do you add more weight or let out more line.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Wallhanger

I usualy just let out more line but if you use a 1 oz weight you can get down 1 ft for every ft of line you let out, as long as you maintain a 45 degree angle when the line is in the water, that 45 degree rule also aplies for the 1/2 oz method.... but sometimes its easier to let out more line than it is to swich over all my clips to 1 oz weights
Old 07-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Minnow

I have been using inline weights, but it seems like a lot of hardware just in front of my spinners. It seems different "rules" apply between inline and snap weights. Will have to try snap weights as they seem more versatile.