Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Chumming - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2001, 04:34 PM
Keeper

Default Chumming

I heard that some people chum for perch. Is this legal? If it is, is that a good way to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2001, 11:40 AM
Minnow

Default RE: Chumming

My father-in-law likes to use brine shrimp or pieces of craw-dad to chum for perch here in South Dakota. As far as I know, its legal here (better be, one of his usual fishing partners is the game warden). He seems to do rather well with it, too. Claims he doesn't have to chase them around the lake becuase they stay in the chum area instead of cruising looking for baitfish. Hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2001, 11:48 AM
Wallhanger

We have a fishing buddy who loves to chum for walleye. Last weekend on Erie, he chummed right into the drift sock. ;-)

I also heard a story last weekend about a guy that had been at Nick's bar (Port Clinton) for the Big Booty contest and stayed out a bit late. He spent the next day chumming. It must have worked, every time he hurled his buddies caught a fish. His buddies refused to take him and and they further tried to make him keep hurling...Are you here Spider?

On a serious note, another buddy always throws a handful of uncooked Minute Rice overboard occasionally when perch fishing. He primarily uses spikes for bait, so you can see the similarities. He claims that it works well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2001, 11:51 AM
cisco

In Wisconsin and Minnesota it is illegal to chum. However, if it is someone "hurling" over the side (as described above), how could it be prohibited? If you've got to barf, you must barf.
Old 04-11-2001, 04:16 PM
Minnow

I think Dave is better now, however the best bite of the three days we spent there was when he was chumming. I will never let him forget this!... Nice meeting you guys.
Old 04-12-2001, 04:24 AM
roc

I've heard of people using hard dog food in an onion bag sunk to the bottom with sinkers for ice fishing. Might try it next year.