Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Some basic panfish info. wanted - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Keeper

Default Some basic panfish info. wanted

95% of my fishing is for walleye, but this year my wife declared that she'd like to give fishing a try (can you hear the needle skip on the phonograph!?). I couldn't believe it myself, but still want to get her interested as fast as I can. I thought I'd try a little panfish action. I grew up fishing for pannies, but the method was always the same: rod, bobber, hook and worm. Being that it's early spring, I know that the pannies are going to locate in the shallow bays of most lakes first. The last time I did a spring pannie bite was a number of years ago and I got some small plastics and floated them under a small float. I had good luck that day, but I'm going to be fishing some north metro lakes (twin cities) and was wondering if anyone out there has some basic information to get me started and hopefully get my wife hooked. Other than looking for shallow water and smaller presentation/lighter line, I could use a little extra guidance. All input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Wallhanger

Bluegills, for example feed on insects, snails, and aquatic nymphs. Not minnows so much. I usually fish for them with fly fishing equipment, but a weighted nymph could be fished under a small bobber. Ultralight spinning tackle is more fun than tackle meant for game fish. The rod and reel can be inexpensive.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Wallhanger

I'm not sure what you have available to fish where you are, but I enjoy catching creek chubs. Its fun & fast bobber action. I then use the creek chubs, which are a premium bait, for walleye fishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Keeper

Buy a panfishing DVD from Linder's Angling Edge or In-Fisherman. Lots of good advice and techniques demonstrated.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Wallhanger

Bee Moth(wax worms) earlier in the year, crickets later in summer. Jigs, with or without a float. Small spinning gear or I have caught hundreds of gills on fly equipment. Risky in a boat if each person is not expert at using this equipment. In the spring, look for areas with down trees or weeds in a sandy bottom, where the water temps come up first. later, around any cover in 5-10 feet of water. Nothing like a fast gill bite for some real fun!!! And in the kitchen, they'll give even eyes a run for their money.....YUMMY. A different, more sweet flavor.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Keeper

Default Panfishing

My wife loves to pan fish. I have a rig I set up for her that works great with her lightning rod and 33 pro reel. I tie the small end of a 2" torpedo float to her main line from the reel, and then about 4' of 4-6# test mono for a light leader tied to the fat end of the float with #10 or #12 poppers tied to it. She absolutely slays the panfish with this set up, and doesn't have to do the fly fishing rod thing. She simly casts to the spot she wants to fish, and when you locate those bedded gills, the fight is on! While I bass fish along the shore, she casts for panfish. When she hits a hot spot, I simply pick up my other rod, rigged the same way as her and we have a ball. I call it "Polish" Fly Fishing!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Kanauz View Post
My wife loves to pan fish. I have a rig I set up for her that works great with her lightning rod and 33 pro reel. I tie the small end of a 2" torpedo float to her main line from the reel, and then about 4' of 4-6# test mono for a light leader tied to the fat end of the float with #10 or #12 poppers tied to it. She absolutely slays the panfish with this set up, and doesn't have to do the fly fishing rod thing. She simly casts to the spot she wants to fish, and when you locate those bedded gills, the fight is on! While I bass fish along the shore, she casts for panfish. When she hits a hot spot, I simply pick up my other rod, rigged the same way as her and we have a ball. I call it "Polish" Fly Fishing!

Now that right there is a bright idea.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Wallhanger

Early spring can be more challenging than late spring and summer for bluegills, the key to finding them is finding weeds. Shallower bays are good places to start plus the water will be a little warmer there but from my experience, if there are no weeds, there will be no bluegills. Crappies tend to follow this pattern early as well, up unitl the span when the water hits 60F or so
Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Wallhanger

Dark bottom muddy bays and channels will warm up the quickest and those are good places to start.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Wallhanger

If you ever get by Thorne Brothers up on Hwy 65 stop in there, there are guys there that fish panfish up that way and might give you some good advise on where to go and what to use. Also do some searching on lakes on the DNR website will give you an idea on fish populations.