Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Over/Under Shotgun Question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Small Game and Birds

Old 11-22-2006, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Over/Under Shotgun Question

How many of you shoot O/U for pheasants? I have been looking at three models and not sure which one to consider. Here is the info I have and would like some feedback on.

Remington SPR310
Mossberg Silver Reserve
Stoeger Condor Supreme

I don't want to drop a ton. There are some nice models for 1600. WOW! Can anybody share any info on any of the above models? Thanks!
Old 11-22-2006, 04:15 PM
ArtCo-Unlogged

Default RE: Over/Under Shotgun Question

I have a Tristar 20ga. that is a really good gun..
A 12 ga. Winchester 101 in fixed chokes (Full, Modified) shoots 3." shells,
and, a 12ga. Browning Citori that shoots shells up to 3.5"
I would, if I could buy another 101 that has choke tubes.

Art
Old 11-23-2006, 12:37 AM
reelman2

I'm going to tell you something that you probably won't want to hear. If you are looking at buying a O/U shotgun it does not pay to buy any of the cheap ones on the market. What you get when you buy one of these is poor fit and finish, terrible trigers, cheap wood, and a gun that will ussually shoot loose in a couple thousand rounds.

If you really want an O/U save your money for another year and buy a good one. If you only want to spend so much money then spend what you would on a cheap O/U and buy a quality auto.

Another option is to take a look at a used O/U, you can ussually pick one up for a decent savings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Wallhanger

I agree with Reelman, Spend the money for a good O/U, you will not regret it. You don't need to buy one with all the gold plating on the gun, just a major brand name. I shoot (95% of the time) a Beretta O/U. I hunt behind two pointing dogs in three different states, so I truely enjoy the two different shot patterns the O/U gives me.
Byron
Old 12-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Minnow

Others' advice about buying quality is good. There are good quality used O/U's out there. Every gun will feel different, however. Go to a store like Gander Mtn. and ask to handle several brands. Fit is very, very important. Don't get a trap or sporting clays model as these will be much heavier than you'll want for upland hunting. Look for tight fit when closing the action, extra choke tubes, owners manual, etc. All indicate it was probably well taken care of. Used guns from Gander and other places have warranties available, too.

Also, if you're left handed you're in trouble as all O/U's are skewed for right handed shooters.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Ditto, I got an American Arms Silver II 20ga. years ago, because the price was right. I should have waited and got a Citori... Learned learned.

Good luck,
-Box
Old 12-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Unlogged T-Mac

I've been shooting O/U's on all game birds for over 30 yrs.
Yes they are more pricey...but if you buy a good one, they hold their value very well.
Check with www.reedssports.com for some good pricing.
If you call ask for Todd..or Chad.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Unlogged MNUser

Thanks guys. I ended up getting a Ruger Red Label. Is really like it. I have only used it once buy it sure feels nice.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Unlogged T-Mac

Excellent choice.
I have always wanted one. I like the balance point being a little more forward...like it is on a Red Lable.
Did you get the English stock? (Straight...no pistol grip).

Some of us guys went together and got a Red Lable as a going away gift for a buddy. We got the English stock (All Reeds had).
I sure liked the looks and the feel of that stock on the Red Lable. :) I through it up to my shoulder a few times and it was "right there" and it swung beautifully.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Again

actually... I "threw" it up to my shoulder.....LOL!