Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Switched to 4 blade Nemesis, not impressed. - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Wallhanger

I see your in my neck of the woods, if close you can try a couple props I have. I went through this a few years back and settled with a Tempest 19p. You say your cavitating with a 4 blade, are you sure of motor height. At WOT your plate should be right on the surface just being splashed with water, sounds like you are a bit high...Chico...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 05:45 PM
Wallhanger

Hi Chico.

My boat is at our cabin in Sask at the moment. Heading up there this weekend and plan to look at motor height then. Forgot last time I was there.

Thanks for the offer! I have a good relationship with my local dealer and they will let me try a few to find the right one.

SkWalter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram: @harderoutdoors
Old 06-13-2017, 09:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkWalter View Post
Hi Chico.

My boat is at our cabin in Sask at the moment. Heading up there this weekend and plan to look at motor height then. Forgot last time I was there.

Thanks for the offer! I have a good relationship with my local dealer and they will let me try a few to find the right one.

SkWalter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 10:14 PM
Wallhanger

Walter, I have the same setup as you do, except no kicker. I run the 19P Tempest Plus, and have no problems with blowout. Hole shot is excellent, even with skiers. Top speed is +/- 50 MHP depending on load, wind, current, chop, traffic, etc. The motor is mounted on the second hole from the top. This is how it came from the dealer, and I have not felt a need to experiment for improvement. That doesn't mean I wouldn't try something new, if someone posts performance better than I am getting. But, I think you will see a big improvement with that Tempest.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:18 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks Waterboy. What PSV plugs are you running? The prop came with the large holes but I was reading that solids are better for the 4 stroke motors.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Thanks Waterboy. What PSV plugs are you running? The prop came with the large holes but I was reading that solids are better for the 4 stroke motors.

Just putting solid plugs in your PVS holes will go a long way towards solving your problem is my guess. I can't stand the way my Verado performs with the plugs out, it's exactly what you're describing. I can tell the minute that I lose even one of the 4.

And, any mod you can do for less than $10 is always worth a try!

Waxy
Old 06-14-2017, 04:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:

I don't know much about the plugs, but I just went out to the garage and snapped a couple of pics, that I hope can do the talking for me. It's all set up the way it arrived from the dealer when I bought the boat last year. No problems blowing out. I am aware of the frustration with cavitation. I had an aluminum prop on the last boat, and had to trim down on turns. Not the case with the Tempest Plus. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	494.0 KB
ID:	263049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0198.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	494.3 KB
ID:	263057  
Old 06-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Wallhanger

Perfect guys. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Wallhanger

Default Switched to 4 blade Nemesis, not impressed.

Ran the new prop yesterday and thought I should put up the results.

I installed it with the Flo Torq 2 hub that was on my Black Max prop. It came with one of its own, but if I used it I couldn't return it as easy. Had some prop rattle but only in reverse.

Holeshot was a bit weird. Popped up okay but revs sounded different. I have solid PVS plugs and I think I'll switch to them instead of the large holes.

Top speed with just me in the boat, 3/4 tank of gas, Kicker, batteries, bow mount, etc was 50.1 mph on my GPS. RPM was 5600. I could trim all the way up without blowing out and take tight corners without adjusting the trim or throttle. The slowest I could go and stay on plane was around 20 mph.

I loaded up my family of 5 with all our fishing gear and top speed dropped to 48.3 mph.

Hope this helps someone else looking for a new prop. Thanks to all those that helped me out.

SKWalter

ETA: My motor is in hole 2, so lower than most others. I may look at getting it moved up a hole.

Last edited by SkWalter; 06-18-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:26 AM
Wallhanger

I running the small plugs on my tempest. I say either solid plugs or small. The med and large plugs you tend to go on and off plane to easy in bigger waves. That's when you are trying to stay just over planning speed. To change the plugs the pry tool for opening paint cans works very well. I have the flow torq 4 hub in mine. The three is for smaller motors. The 3 and 4 will have some back and forth play in the prop. That's what helps the rattle.

Last edited by Snowking; 06-18-2017 at 10:35 AM.