Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How to drive in big water - Page 7 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-man View Post

Not meant to scare you, but this true story will help you realize what can happen, and how to prevent it.

http://www.glangler.com/_blog/Great_...oleman_Cooler/
Well, you sure scared me B-man! Wow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Keeper

I'd just like to add that depending on the age of your motor, weight of your boat, size of motor etc. be aware that powering up and down and over big waves can load your prop hub HEAVILY. I've "spun" a prop hub before (there's a rubber "clutch" type sleeve that will give way under extreme load). This leaves you only being able to progress forward at idle or not at all. Very dangerous situation being without power in big waves. We took a wave or two over the boat after that due to not being able to keep up with the waves. I run big water often in relatively small boats (live on Lake Superior) and I was the first time it happened to me. I didn't figure out what happened until afterwards when the pucker-factor had subsided.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

10-4 on Hunter Joe's comments about asking if the boater had beers in his boat - while on Canadian waters.

If caught, you can expect a very heavy fine and potential more trouble if you have beer on your boat.

Leave the beer at camp or in the cabin when boating. Drink water, soda or coffee when boating on Canadian waters. Lots cheaper and less trouble than going to the provincial court and coming up with the money and other items as a result of boating with alcohol in the boat.

Be safe
Old 05-18-2016, 12:21 PM
Keeper

Just my two cents. Juls is spot on and very good advice. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is get over the crest. Pick a line, stick to it, and throttle over. A lot of bad things can happen if you hesitate or try to correct suddenly on top.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Keeper

Default driving in big waves

Certainly you do not want to attack waves in this manner:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...3D05&FORM=VIRE
Old 06-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Slot Fish

One thing I am very interested in is how a boat needs to set up for best rough water handling. All the info I see is for best hole shot or top speed, I assume this is not the same for rough water handling. Every aspect or suggestion is appreciated.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:03 AM
Wallhanger

https://youtu.be/9lsAnmnFPIo

Not sure if that link will work or not. If it doesn't go to YouTube and search "rough bar crossing". Never try to surf a wave or slow down so much that the waves are going faster that you in a following sea.
Patient and watchful, nor denies
Any by reason of its size.

And I too, on some careless day,
Shall feel the hook I had not guessed;
And shall try to break away,
And go, after brief protest,
Into the basket, with all the rest.

-Robert Bell
Old 06-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Shotgun,
Simply put, to set up the motor and prop for big water, you want to put a prop on your motor that gives you a really good hole shot.

Normally, this will be to put a prop on the engine that is 1-4 inches less than your typical high speed prop.

The lower pitch prop gives you really good hole shot and the ability to punch the throttle to hop on top of big waves and power on and or off as needed.

Also, the motor needs to be on the boat low enough so that the prop does not cavitate when working these same big waves.

This could mean dropping the motor 1-3 holes lower than the optimum setting for the very best high speed operation.

Also, depending on your rig, run splash guards to cut down on the amount of water that could roll over your transom with a big following wave.

Good luck
Old 06-29-2016, 01:14 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks REW, seems like all common sense things that I would have guessed myself. Good to have confimed though.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:49 AM
Minnow

Great information REW.

When I was first learning to fly in Alaska I heard one saying over and over again; "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old, bold pilots." I think the same is very much true for operating a boat. We can all push our luck a few times and have some stories to tell, but we may never recognize the time that leaves others left to tell the story. I am a big believer in checking the weather and keeping an eye on things when out. I would rather get someplace safe, even if less than ideal, and set things out until conditions are safe than push it if I do get caught out in unsafe conditions.