Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Informal survey; How much do you spend on gear/tackle? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
I normally ask the lodge owner for tips on the hot bait and spots to fish when I arrive in camp. During the course of that conversation I usually am offered a lure to try out. If that bait doesn't work, then I ask a group member if they have an extra ( fill in the blank ) to try out since the outfitter's suggestion was not working.

So far I've accumulated about 10 Plano boxes worth of gear for free.

My investment is the time it takes me to fleece these guys out of lures each year......which goes for about $200.00 per trip.

PjShorthorn

Do I know you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Marcus Aurelius

"If the kids are fed, clothed and educated and the wife is relatively happy: Then all expenses at that point are listed under miscellaneous! "

Really?! I wish that life was that simple. I have a lot more obligations than that.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 AM
Wallhanger

Default Too much!!

I would say that I average between $1,500 and $2,000 a year. I try to keep up on electronics and trolling motors, I do like to get a new rod & reel once in awhile and for tackle I do add new every year and also replace what was lost. Yes I do have a lot of tackle and lures that have never seen water! My wife says that I am never satisfied with what I have, she might be onto something........I think I'll wait another year or two before I try to justify a 620!!
MinnKota Terrova 80 w/iPilot Link
Humminbird Helix 10 G2N, 998HD Si, 959HD

Towed with: 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie CrewCab 6'4" Rambox 4x4.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikear View Post
Do I know you?

Brother from a different mother ? Anything is possible when it comes to cross pollination and a splash of morals, or lack thereof , mixed in ?

PjShorthorn
Old 05-19-2017, 08:37 PM
Wallhanger

One of my favorite hobbies is spending money on fishing gear. They say that the different combinations and colors are made to catch fisherman not fish, well, I'm proof of that. I spend a lot, then I often get home and figure out I already have what I just bought. I store my gear pretty well, but would also guess that I have rusted out more hooks/lures than I have actually used/lost.

I have maybe 10/12 3700 deep boxes stuffed full of various cranks. Somehow I only use the same 3 styles, shad raps, husky jerks, and flicker shads.

I would guess that I have some kind of mental illness with this stuff, but just standing over it looking at all of it makes me feel great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 09:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post

I would guess that I have some kind of mental illness with this stuff, but just standing over it looking at all of it makes me feel great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get that same feeling when I look at my three boxes filled with Salmon/Trout trolling spoons, flashers/flies, and Lake trolls.

1989 Alumacraft Lunker V-14
1997 Yamaha 20hp 2 stroke
Minnkota Endura 35

2012 Tracker Grizzly FB-14
2014 Mercury 9.9hp (for now)

1995 16 1/2' Michicraft Canoe
Old 05-20-2017, 06:51 AM
Wallhanger

$26,000 after buying the B.O.A.T. That's buying rods as cheap as possible that get the job done. Reels, quality matters. Yearly hard to tell. I buy in bulk.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
"If the kids are fed, clothed and educated and the wife is relatively happy: Then all expenses at that point are listed under miscellaneous! "

Really?! I wish that life was that simple. I have a lot more obligations than that.
Marcus, I understand Roman politics can be brutal. Make time to laugh. Bob
Old 05-20-2017, 11:02 AM
Wallhanger

Too much. I try not to think about it. I don't spend what I used too but still buy things I don't need like the new 5.5" Leech Lake that just arrived because the wife and I may catch some perch this year on our trip to Lake Winnie. Wife asked if why one of the other 2, 7.5" Leech Lake knives wouldn't work, I had to tell her they are too long. LOL That's all so far this year but I am sure that our trip to Winnie and a stop at Reeds will change things.
Old Today, 02:08 AM
Minnow

Embarrassed to say

To much ;(

Fun collecting though

the bait monkey has a hold me

Casting for Bass - 45%
Trolling for other species - 35%
Catfish - 15%
Panfish - 10%
Florida bays salt water - 5% ( Snook, Redfish, etc )

2016 Tracker 175 WT
2016 Mercury 115 4 stroke

Looking for new multi-species boat now ...