Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Where to put best sonar unit? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Minnow

Default Where to put best sonar unit?

Setting up my new boat with 2 sonars of differing quality, leads me to wonder where to put my best unit - dashboard or bow?

I would think that my eyes, being further away from the bow unit, would need the bigger screen there rather than at the console, but I usually see pics of some really good units on the dashboard.

Also, what about the technology aspect? If only one unit has the best technology (side-imaging, dual beam, etc) should that unit be at the console, or at the bow?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

It would be helpful (for best overall advice) to know what the two units of differing quality are! If they are "different" brands, then of course networking the units is out of the question, but if the units are of the same brand and networking them is possible, then my advice would be to place the larger, higher quality unit at the console and the smaller lower quality unit at the bow. Many factors come into play though (style of fishing etc), but for me, having the better of the two units at the console to find the structure, fish, bait etc is primary, then using the other unit at the bow to stay on the "spot on spot" so to speak! May or may not be the answer your looking for, just my own personal opinion! Best of luck though in figuring which way works BEST for you!

Tight Lines!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:53 AM
Minnow

I was thinking either the Hummingbird 1198c SI Combo or the 998c SI Combo at the console, then a smaller one at the bow -- either the 898c SI Combo or the 798ci HD SI Combo. I'll have to check and see if these are networkable.

Mainly, I just didn't want to make a mistake by buying too small of a screen for the bow. My experience so far has been limited to a tiller steer jon boat, with a 5" Lowrance unit right there in back with me at the tiller. Not too bad to see since I was sitting down. But now that I'm doing some serious upgrading to a "real" boat, I want to make sure it's set up correctly. I don't have much experience trying to watch a sonar screen from a standing position or pedestal seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Wallhanger

Default Go Big!!

You don't hear to many people complain about having two big of a screen. depending on your budget, but I'd say go with the 1198 at the console and an 858 at the bow. If you think you need SI in the bow then maybe drop down to a 998 at the console and an 898 in the bow. If it were me, 1198 console and 858 bow.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Minnow

Is having side imaging at the bow an unnecessary feature that wouldn't really get used in that location?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Wallhanger

Where ever you spend most of your time fishing is where I would put the biggest screen. When I am fishing and not moving from one location to another, I watch my screen not only for fish or bait but my chart also for keeping the boat on the spot. My 50+ year old eyes get frustrated when using to small of screen when fishing vs driving the boat.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Wallhanger

For me, I do most of my fish locating from the driver's seat. Once I find them, then I can use my smaller graph at the front in conjunction with the trolling motor to get on them more precisely.

Given, I have good eyes so that hasn't been an issue.

I do like having a larger screen on the dash because I'm often running it split-screen as I run around reefs or from spot to spot. Once I start fishing from the bow, I'm usually just running sonar on the bow unit.

Good luck.

Scott
Old 03-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default SI

I currently run an HDS-8 Gen 1 at the console and an HDS-7 Gen 1 in the bow with structure scan and have them networked together so I have the ability to use DI and SI in the bow and the console, I can count the number of times I have used DI & SI in the bow on one hand. Like others have already stated, I use the bigger screen at the console in split mode to find the fish then move to the front and just use the sonar from the Terrova transducer, and sometimes the sonar/map split screen with 2/3 of the screen being the sonar.

Do whatever you're budget allows as long as one of them is an 1198! If that means going with an 858 without SI in the bow, then that is what I would do.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Put the biggest screen on the boat where you can see it from the spot where you spend most of your time.

If you spend time at the console, put it there.
But if you spend more time at the bow, put it there.

I personally like a very large screen on the bow, because I use a transom mounted transducer on the bow unit. Then, I often use the bow mount unit for navigation while driving. If you are driving at high speed and navigate and use the bow mount while driving, you don't have to take your eyes off of the horizon while driving. As you drive while viewing the horizon, you can still see the bow mounted depth finder information in your other eye. This means that you see the schools of fish, the humps etc. that you might otherwise miss if you are driving fast and only glance down at your console depth finder now and then.

Take care
REW

P.S.
The best solution is to put three very large units at the bow, the console and at the stern. That way, no matter where you or your friends fish they will have high quality easily viewed information.

All it takes are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Tags
fish finder , graph , side imaging , sonar