Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
very low recoil deer gun - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Im curious as to your reasoning behind this?

If they aren't responsible enough for auto, what makes them responsible enough for a single?
Simply put they don't have the gun handling experience and maturity. They cannot be excellent gun handlers.
You can say your kid is excellent with a gun all day long but they do not have the time in the game or maturity in the head. Its easy for a novice to lose their sensibility after a shot. Better a single or pump so they have to think about that next round instead of accidentally pulling the trigger again at the wrong time because their head is clouded with game and body with addrenelin.
I've seen a lot of kids and novice men/woman with guns in their hands and I firmly believe this. Its just my opinion and one that was handed down through the family.

On the other hand a gas operated shotgun like the Rem 1100 would be the softest recoil and perfect for a smaller person or kid.

Last edited by Suzuki; 10-01-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Keeper

being a guide for pheasants I get to see a lot of people with guns and 9 time out of 10 the kids are a lot safer than most seasoned hunters.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntracker View Post
being a guide for pheasants I get to see a lot of people with guns and 9 time out of 10 the kids are a lot safer than most seasoned hunters.
That's just ridiculous but as a guide I would imagine you get to see all the half *** hunters.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Keeper

not really half *** hunters as the kids pay attention and listen to instructions. While the seasoned hunters think they already know it all. When it comes to safety the kids really try hard to pay attention not shoot low birds as they don't want to get in trouble. We always have a few guys that have to walk the fields with an empty gun to just practice and get it through there head we are serious when we tell you how to carry your gun safely not like a suit case or pointing at my or the dogs head. When there buddys see this every one straightens out. If given the choice though I will take a group of 13 year olds out over a group of 30 year olds and the kids smile a lot more to.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Wallhanger

I have to laugh at guides when they have people with guns line up and walk at each other and then call some of them unsafe. No kidding?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Keeper

ya walking at each other seems odd but blockers are needed unless you want all the birds to just run away. pen raised ones will hold but not wild pheasants they will run for ever
Old 10-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Hat Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki View Post
That's just ridiculous but as a guide I would imagine you get to see all the half *** hunters.
No...actually, it isn't. A LOT of times the kids are the safer ones. Kids are required to have hunters safety in order to get a lisc. Some of the parents are still old enough to be grandfathered in, so they don't have to have one.

As a hunters safety instructor, I see all types of parents, and kids for that matter. I wouldn't give a kid a single shot if they can't handle a semi-auto because that means they're just not ready to hunt yet. There is nothing wrong with waiting if you're daughter is just too small or inexperienced to hunt this season.

No matter which firearm you choose, don't go in "hot." Meaning, don't put ANY round in the chamber befor you get to your stand and can have full control of what's going on. You're not going to loose a shot at a deer because it took you 5 seconds to chamber a round. It's much safer, and it's just a deer.

But since you asked, I'd opt for a muzzle loader over the 20ga. A 20ga with slugs still kicks plenty. You can load a muzzle loader down to a very manaeable recoil level. Have her practice with it and become familiar with it before hunting season.

Remember, there is nothing wrong with having her wait a year to actually carry a gun with on the hunt. Bring here along, have her share in ALL the activities you'll be doing and let her decide if hunting is something SHE wants to do.

Good luck with what you choose.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Keeper

i never have a round chambered till it is time to fire and not lost a deer yet. It is habit as at all the comps you don't chamber till you are ready to go hot
Old 10-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Wallhanger

Not that it will aid the OP but Wisconsin just made rifles legal state wide which will really help young hunters in the recoil department.