Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anxious to see Dodge's new TorqueFlite 8 transmission - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2013, 07:20 AM
Wallhanger

We'll picked up my new ram laramie 1500 Qc 5.7 hemi with the 8spd. The 8spd comes with auto shutters in the grille to warm granny up faster. Runs 72mph on freeway at 1600 rpms and 21-24 mpg. Avg 18.4 so far so good. Long been a Chey guy and waited for the 2014's and was dissappointed with them. Time will tell if Ram was the better choice. Currently it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Manning

Thumbs up

All I can say is that the 8-speed TorqueFlite shifts like a dream. You hardly notice the shifting as the shift points are very close together. I wouldn't purchase a truck without one. I also have the ActiveLevel. That has one of the best rides available, lowers the truck at highway speeds, allows you to lower it for loading, and allows you to raise the vehicle while off-road. Excellent! Bravo Dodge!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Wallhanger

Doesn't the active level also lower the pickup at highway speeds to lessen air drag and even lower it to make entering the cab easier? I think I saw the active level feature and all the stuff you've mentioned shown on Speed channel's Road Test program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
Doesn't the active level also lower the pickup at highway speeds to lessen air drag and even lower it to make entering the cab easier? I think I saw the active level feature and all the stuff you've mentioned shown on Speed channel's Road Test program.
Yes it does. It also shuts the louvers in the grille to reduce air resistance. They did wind tunnel testing on it to reduce as much drag as practical.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Hat Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 View Post
In my quest for a new truck that gets decent milage yet still has power when I want it. Lets just say I have high hopes.
If you want "decent mileage" you're barking up the wrong tree by looking at a 3/4 ton truck no matter how many gears it has in the trans.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 AM
hat trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
Be nice to be able to program shift points if your going to have 8 speeds I think.

My 6 speed F150 gets a bit confused at a rolling stop and when it should/be nice to stay in second it drops to 1st, be nice to change that.

Al
You can. Put your shifter in "M" on your selector and you can shift it whenever you see fit by pushing the "+" and/or "-" buttons on your shifter.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Wallhanger

automobilemagazine.com has a first drive report on Dodge's upcoming small diesel. They actually prefer the much more powerful 5.7L gas engine.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
If you want "decent mileage" you're barking up the wrong tree by looking at a 3/4 ton truck no matter how many gears it has in the trans.
Not going with 3/4 ton. Never said I wanted to. I have 0 need for a 3/4 anymore. Going with a 1/2 ton to haul my boat and maybe a wheeler or sled or two once in a while.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Wallhanger

I would be cautious about the first year's production of a vehicle with all those do dads that increase economy. Variable suspension has been around since Peugeot luxury cars, 8-speed transmissions are in some expensive European sports/luxury cars.
I would hope the shuttered grill works a lot better than pop up headlights did in their day.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat trick View Post
You can. Put your shifter in "M" on your selector and you can shift it whenever you see fit by pushing the "+" and/or "-" buttons on your shifter.
Be nice if you could set shift points and leave in the auto mode, I can keep the tranny on the ford in second gear but have to manually move the shift lever, kind of a pain.

Al