Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Venison butchering and recipes..terrific you tube find - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 12-04-2016, 11:35 PM
Wallhanger

Default Venison butchering and recipes..terrific you tube find

Just discovered the "Scott Rea Project" on you tube. Absolutely STUNNING (inside joke that will make sense if you watch his videos) recipes and video instruction. Butchering of game from fur, fins and feathers. Also shows beef and pork butchery. Self taught in the kitchen but a career butcher of some 28 years if I recall correctly. Skinning knife to steak knife. Just made the haunch pie using steaks from the bottom round of my deer. MMMMMMMMMMMM SHO is GOOOOOOOD!!!!!!! While their deer are considerably smaller in the UK and some of their food/culinary lingo needs some interpretting or translation, he is spot on. Check it out. Ill add more as I continue to reach into my freezer through out the coming months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgmicsUfUIQ
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2016, 04:07 PM
Wallhanger

Tried the pan seared steak. I give it an 8 out of 10. I'd drop his cooking time by about 1/2 once you remove the pan from the heat. Letting the meat rest as noted is also a must. Dont jump the gun. Let those babies rest under foil or a dome for the full 10 min. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with the recipe as written, I prefer my venison steak a bit more rare than they turned out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpKfO6onH6E

Next up will be the meatballs with paprika.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Wallhanger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhqZyknr2WE

Venison meatballs with sour cream and paprika. Another winner with suggestions: I had 14 oz of venison whereas the recipe called for 11oz (300gr). One egg seemed to make for a very wet meatball mixture so I added 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs and it worked great. Double tomatoes to a 15oz can and add about 8-10 oz beef stock and simmer sauce down to thicken before returning meat balls to sauce. No quantity stated in the video for the paprika. I'd go with 2 teaspoons in the meat balls and 1 or 2 more in your sauce if you like a bit more heat. Serve over a wide egg noodle. Loved this one.

Next week...Venison Wellington (venny welly)
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Wallhanger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhkzZwLgQ-Q

Venison Wellington. Just polished off a plate with sides of roasted fingerling potatoes and cauliflower. This recipe is a home run!!!! Put it together as shown, it's perfect! And easy. The only thing missing was a nice Merlot and a molten chocolate cake as dessert for my wife. Seriously the ingredients work. I did take a liberty with the cooking time. Placed it in a 400 degree oven for 20, not 25. Removed it, brushed once more with egg wash and back in for the recommended 10 min.
(Flash/lighting on the middle picture doesn't do the dish justice. The color of the meat is more pink and accurately represented in the 3rd pic)

BON APPETIT ladies and gentlemen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170109_180349.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	503.2 KB
ID:	237642   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170109_181117.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	515.1 KB
ID:	237650   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170109_181524.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	505.3 KB
ID:	237658  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:35 AM
Wallhanger

Looks awesome. Now I'm starving. I made that once before. I think I used store bought puff pastry, or maybe fillo dough. I took some back strap out of the freezer last night. I know what I'm making now.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:09 AM
Wallhanger

Use puff pastry. Phylo and puff pastry are notably different. I used Pepperidge Farm.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Looks really good Karloutdoors.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:16 PM
Wallhanger

Default Venison pot pie part doe. Or is that deux?

A little over a month ago, I made the venison pot pie featured in my lead post to this thread. Actually I made three. Just the wife and I ate one. Gave one to the neighbors. And I covered pie number three, unbaked, with foil and threw it in the freezer. Took it out 2 days ago. After a quick brush of egg wash right into the 420 degree oven this evening and 20 minutes later (add a 10 minute rest) is was a pie full of deliciousness all over again. My point is they freeze well.

Last edited by Karloutdoors; 01-20-2017 at 07:29 PM.