Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Wheat free dog food - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 10-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Noah Cantell

Default Wheat free dog food

I'm about to become the proud papa of a bear hunting dog - an Akita. Her name is Katie. We've had an Akita before - so we know their temperament, and traits. The breeder says she has wheat allergy and feeds her "Natures Balance" dog food. This stuff is expensive !!! Anybody had any experience with this brand - or - can you recommend a less expensive alternative. If we go in another direction from what she is use to, we will have to go with the Natures Balance and gradually mix in "Something" else. Your thoughts please.

And for you old flatulence producers, do you remember the song "Beautiful Katie" ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Keeper

Default Natural Balance

I think you are referring to Natural Balance. This is a great brand of holicstic food. However in your case I would recommend Taste of the Wild.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Wallhanger

I'd go with neither as they are both made by Diamond the leader in dry dog food recalls. Try FROMM. Family owned and operated since 1904. USDA food is a USDA inspected plant. Never recalled and made right here in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 12:41 AM
Slot Fish

Default Check out some feed stores.

There are quite a few grain free brands availble. I am currently feeding Earth Born Holistic. I won't feed my best friend anything that I woulden't eat. Stay away from any foods that have corn in them if you want to avoid cancer in your pet. I have found that the best way to avoid allergies in animals is to change the main ingredient in their food every 6 month. If your feeding chicken, change to lamb, then buffalo, than beef or fish and keep rotating. Your pet will enjoy the change in diet, just make sure you introduce the new food slowly.

Pet food manufactures have 1-800 numbers that you can call and discuss introducing new foods and see what they recommend. I think you will find that informative as their staff is well trained to help you have good results with their product. Google dog foods and you will find sites that compare quality of various brands. If it's good, it won't be cheep.

Best of luck to you.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 AM
Wallhanger

Nutra Source

and

Taste of the Wild
Old 04-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Wallhanger

I feed my Bulldogs Fromm. If I feed them anything with wheat or grain in it they fart so much they take the paint off the walls! It's not cheap but IMHO it's worth it. I'm buying a pallete of it tommarow.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Taste of the wild

I use Taste of the Wild . It comes in several different flavors Venison , waterfowl, etc. Runs about $45. per 40 # . expensive for Dog Food The output is alot less and easier to clean-up . They seem to really like it
Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Wallhanger

Rachel Ray Nutrish