Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Can Canadian resorts refuse Canadian funds for payment? - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-15-2017, 07:44 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickr View Post
upper NY state and New Hampshire and Vermont have these types of sales all the time when the exchange rate is less than 20%
I live in up State NY, in the Buffalo, NY area and the largest border crossing area for the largest populations connect to Ontario...........sorry, Canadian not accepted at par here or businesses would be flooded with Loonies worth 35% less in value even from residents here.

I fish up towards the NY / Ontario border and who's buying goods and services up there........the rough terrain or all the trees.........NO comparison to large "MALLS" you claimed to take Canadian money at par.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 07:02 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
I live in up State NY, in the Buffalo, NY area and the largest border crossing area for the largest populations connect to Ontario...........sorry, Canadian not accepted at par here or businesses would be flooded with Loonies worth 35% less in value even from residents here.

I fish up towards the NY / Ontario border and who's buying goods and services up there........the rough terrain or all the trees.........NO comparison to large "MALLS" you claimed to take Canadian money at par.

well Bobby....maybe I don't know what the term upper state NY means to you guys down south....I kind of consider Buffalo heading south

I live in Ottawa and the NY state directly beneath us is a lot more "upper" than Buffalo

All I can tell you is ..... as I posted when the exchange rate is in that 20% range or less, everything south of the border from here takes Cdn money at par and they advertise up here about it. It's not uncommon at all.

I've only been to Buffalo once....didn't like it...haven't been back and can't speak to the mall and sales situation there.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickr View Post
well Bobby....maybe I don't know what the term upper state NY means to you guys down south....I kind of consider Buffalo heading south

I live in Ottawa and the NY state directly beneath us is a lot more "upper" than Buffalo

All I can tell you is ..... as I posted when the exchange rate is in that 20% range or less, everything south of the border from here takes Cdn money at par and they advertise up here about it. It's not uncommon at all.

I've only been to Buffalo once....didn't like it...haven't been back and can't speak to the mall and sales situation there.
Since you live in Canada you don't know the term UP State NEW YORK......it's a term that means you live anywhere except NYC........since you used the term you should know what it means.

I'm glad you didn't like the Buffalo area, stay away, we don't need your funny money.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 07:47 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post
Well Ted. Here is something for you to think about. Having a good time doesn't even come to play here. I have never been there so I don't have a record of what a good time is. I am comparing prices and gambling on whether I'll have a good time or not. If I've done my homework and find that you're going to charge me 30% more than my Canadian fishing buddy, for what ever reason, I'll continue to shop around, and you'll never get a dime from me. By the way, I have duel citizenship, so now what? You've explained some great reasons for charging different prices but you didn't explain why someone would charge me more just because I've come from someplace else. Also, if I was informed that someone next to me on the plane paid less than me, I'd find out why and make sure next time I have the same consideration granted to me, at least try. If not I'll shop elsewhere. Your comparison of choosing a plane seat and choosing a lodge makes me laugh. It really does.
You misread my post. I am not saying to charge different price to a different social class (or region). Not at all.

Also nowhere did I compare choosing a lodge to choosing a plane seat. Not sure where you get that. I made the pricing model comparison to that of a hotel or a plane. This is very common in the industry.

Next time you fly ask someone what they paid. It is common knowledge people pay less or more based on when they book. No surprise there. So when you ask them why they paid less I imagine they will say the same thing. And yes, we grant the same consideration to everyone. We have to abide by the same rules we put in place.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:25 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
Since you live in Canada you don't know the term UP State NEW YORK......it's a term that means you live anywhere except NYC........since you used the term you should know what it means.

I'm glad you didn't like the Buffalo area, stay away, we don't need your funny money.

really Bobby? you are on a message board about Canadian fishing and throwing insults around

as I said, I was in Buffalo once years ago before the days of GPS, I got lost. I pulled over to ask for directions and a kind gentleman told me that I did not want to be in the area of town I was in. He directed me to get back on the freeway, go a few exits, then get off and ask for directions. I am glad I don't live in a city like that.

As for your comments re Canadians and our money....all I can say Bobby is that you seem to be the type that gives your fellow Americans a bad name when travelling globally. It's a shame really because most Americans I meet are very nice people.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
I have never heard of a resort not accepting Canadian currency. The gas issue is about the same. Our price is in USD's... however, I remind everyone off the lake of that prior to pumping.

I'm not sure it would be illegal... but it would be a dumb business practice. I do charge in US, but as many have pointed out... I will take a fare price of anything that I can convert.

Payment is payment. I may charge a little more for handling euros, yen or pesos than I would USD or Canadian, simply because it would cost me time and money to exchange them... but believe me, I will take it.

It's like the old riddle... what's heavier 10 LBS of feathers or 10 LBS of lead.

They weigh the exact same. One just takes more to reach the same result.
When I got back to resort where I was staying I related that story to the owner. He said the guy that owned XYZ resort was known for doing all sorts of non-customer friendly things. I believe the quote was "he thinks he owns Canada." He never got anymore business from me and this story was related to many of my fishing buddies who do Canadian fishing trips.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:55 PM
Wallhanger

I vacation in Ontario 2 weeks every year. I know what my host charges up front. Between my wife and I and another couple we drop about $6K on our vacation. IMHO it's a bargain at twice the price and I have vacationed all over the world. If my host wants to charge an individual or his countrymen less or more, it's really none of my business. Our hosts are fantastic people trying to earn a living. To the extent they have some sort of pricing strategy in play I just hope it is working for them.