Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
hub oil - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 09-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Minnow

Default hub oil

In july after driving over 800 miles returning from Canada i could smell burning rubber after dropping my fishing partner off at his residence.As i rounded a corner i observed the right rear wheel on the Ranger Trail trailor sitting at a 45 degree angle. luckily i was only 3 blocks from home and managed to get it in the garage. The tire was so hot i could hot hold my hand on it. Needless to say i had to replace everything from the rim to the frame, rotar,hub,caliper and brakes.The hub with seal and bearings came in a set and the total parts bill from my dealor was only about 220$. My delima was what to use for hub oil. Ranger parts says 50# non detergent oil that i cant find and then said to use Lucas Hub oil, Tie Down hub co. said 50_90# gear oil.Lucas guy said the viscosity of Lucas is well over 200.when i attempted to drain the 3 good hubs hardly any oil came out. I opened up the new hub and it appeared to be 50# oil. I ended up using Lucas Hub Oil and made another trip to Canada and back with no problem. What would everyone recommend. I hessitated to use the Lucas oil because of the cold Iowa winters. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

According to this Lucas Oil tech sheet, it appears to be 65 viscosity.

http://lucasoil.com/images/documents...as-Hub-Oil.pdf

HRG
Old 09-21-2014, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

If you don't pull the trailer when it is below freezing, the oil thickness is really not an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 06:51 AM
Keeper

Default Lucas hub oil

I made the switch about 5 yrs ago and never looked back. I figured that if it was good enough for the big boys to run in the front of their over the road rigs, my little 5k gvw boat trailer should do just fine. So far it has- -jerr