Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shooting through blind mesh - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Minnow

Default Shooting through blind mesh

I noticed that my broadhead tipped arrow seemed to fly about 8-12" right of normal when shooting through the mesh of my blind window. I was using a fixed point broadhead with a revolution rest.
I was wondering if this is normal and if others experienced the same effect.
I am thinking of not shooting through the mess if this is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

Default I don't

I never shoot thru the mesh, whether using fixed or expandables. I accidently shot thru it once because it wasn't pulled down far enough with an expandable and it drove it into the ground about 10 feet from the blind!! I was not happy!!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 AM
Keeper

I have shot through mesh many times. Have never experienced a problem. I have been told never use expandables for the mesh will make the broadhead expand early and deflect the arrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Wallhanger

Default No Problems

Just checked, 11 shots through mesh. No problems, ever. Exact replica of broadhead used. Expandables might cause trouble. Just make sure your mesh is tight, if its loose I could see where it could cause trouble.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Keeper

Could be that the arrow isn't leaving your bow straight. It can do this and still correct itself as it flies farther but the mesh may be stopping it. Try shooting through some paper just in front of the bow to see if you are getting a perfect cut. You should just see the "Y" of the fletching's and not have any tearing from the shaft. If you do not get a clean pass through you will need to adjust the arrow rest or get a heavier splined shaft.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Keeper

I've worked for a blind company and still couldn't make myself shoot thru the mesh. Others have and so on, I just couldn't trust myself or want to take that chance if a big buck was in front. Yes do not use mechanicals and make sure screens tight. But another reason I don't is because not going to keep having to replace the screen once its shot up. I open the window I am planning on shooting out of & keep the others shut for darkness.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskaup View Post
I noticed that my broadhead tipped arrow seemed to fly about 8-12" right of normal when shooting through the mesh of my blind window. I was using a fixed point broadhead with a revolution rest.
I was wondering if this is normal and if others experienced the same effect.
I am thinking of not shooting through the mess if this is normal.

Verify the diameter of your broadheads vs the outter diameter of your vanes. If your broadhead is 1,1/8" OD and you're running Blazer vanes (that will total a 1,5/16" with a 1deg offset), you're hitting the netting with your vanes, causing a POI shift. How much that will effect the flight is dependant on a few things, but ultimately that's the issue.

This usually appears most with high profile, very stiff vanes such as Blazers. Fletchings like feathers won't have this issue as they'll lay down flat as they pass through, also some "softer" full length vanes will also behave nicer (such as the Easton 5" vanes).
Old 10-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntnsteve View Post
I've worked for a blind company and still couldn't make myself shoot thru the mesh. Others have and so on, I just couldn't trust myself or want to take that chance if a big buck was in front. Yes do not use mechanicals and make sure screens tight. But another reason I don't is because not going to keep having to replace the screen once its shot up. I open the window I am planning on shooting out of & keep the others shut for darkness.
Agree with all of this (even though I don't work for a blind company or stayed in a Holiday Inn Express...)
Old 11-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Minnow

I'veting shot heads off turkey, and shot white tail thur a blind and never had a problem. I've had a bigger challenge shooting from a sitting position. try practising sitting.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Slot Fish

I was told years ago by Double Bull reps to keep the fabric loose and you will not have trouble (I didn't ask why). I have shot a few animals out of the blind and I never have had the blind affect the flight of my broad head.