Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Suggestions on personal coolers - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 08:49 AM
Keeper

I had a YETI 15 and a 20. The weight of these coolers were ridiculous IMHO. I fish all day, and yes the ice never melted but they weigh 15 pounds empty. Switched to a 20 quart Rubbermaid and I am much happier. At the end of the day still have plenty of ice in the cooler, yes there is some water as well but the Yeti's were just not worth it to me. In a large cooler for a hunting trip, etc. I get it, but not for a day trip.

Save your money and buy a Rubbermaid, Coleman, etc. Just my $.02
Old 04-27-2017, 10:03 AM
Wallhanger

Tall drink coolers, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one. Walk in any store that sells coolers and get one. I've had a coleman flip up white top for 20 years. Holds a 6 pack on the bottom with enough room for two more six packs stacked on top and ice(probably holds 7 or 8 pop per level but i leave room for ice. So I usually put in 12 cans of water/pop/beer and still have room on top for some food sandwiches and snacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Wallhanger

I use the Igloo Marine Ultra Breeze 28 and it works great. They also have the marine ultra quantum 28. I like the rollers and telescoping handle. It keeps ice all day no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00045106_white_l.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	255130   Click image for larger version

Name:	00045929_white_s.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	255138  
Old 04-27-2017, 11:55 AM
Wallhanger

I've had the Coleman 28qt cooler with the handle pictured below for years. Very adequate for a day cooler for drinks, frozen water bottles and lunch. Easy to carry and fits nicely in a corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6278-718G_2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	255146  
Old 04-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Wallhanger

It kind of all depends on what you want to do. My wife purchased a soft sided yeti for me last year and overall I am amazed at the unit. However, this past week while fishing on Erie, we ran my brothers hard sided Yeti - not sure on the size, but enough to hold beverages and food for 3 of us. We iced it down on day 1 and for the rest of the week only replaced the empty beverages with new ones. never added ice. Due to 90% trolling, I keep the cooler in the bow. I was amazed with the footing, the darn thing never moved even when in seas so big my crew were white knuckeled.

I won't say that Yeti is the best. Both of these were gifts - but I would if in your situation, I would look at making an upgrade from a colman type cooler to one of the premium ones. I will be looking for a hard sided one myself.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

As others have said:
When you want a cooler for the day, buy a light tall hard sided inexpensive cooler like a Coleman, or similar for $20.

Put in your beverages and snacks each day - along with ice or blue packs and you are good to go.

If the beverages go in cold, the cooler will keep them that way with very little ice melt.

But, since you are reloading each day, just add fresh ice the next morning and off you go.

Be safe
Old 04-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

I know that you said - no soft sided coolers, but in recent years, my fishing friends and myself have each been bringing our own personal softsided cooler. Large enough for drinks for a day- a sandwich and ice for the day. I also use mine to keep personal items out of the elements.

I use a blue container of cold so no water when the blue melts.

Empty, the cooler weighs about 6 ozs and folds flat if not in use.

Lots of ways to do what you need to do.

Be safe
Old 04-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Slot Fish

If you have 2 livewells try thisClick image for larger version

Name:	093.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	482.1 KB
ID:	255218...
Old 04-27-2017, 10:00 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrusin View Post
If you have 2 livewells try thisAttachment 255218...
Someone caught some bottle bass.