Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I found my fuel line problem, check this out! - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Minnow

According to Mercury, that's exactly what it is, the lining in the fuel lines breaking down because of the ethanol in today's fuel. I do know for a fact that the lines on my boat were not ethanol resistant, they are gray lines with no writing on them, which Mercury states specifically are not ethanol resistant. The new ethanol resistant lines put out by Mercury are gray with blue writing, and have only been out for a couple of years. I do not think that any of this material is in my engine, I'm pretty sure it was caught up in the fuel filter. Mercury put out a service bulletin in regards to replacing these fuel lines a year or so ago, I just bought the boat this past December, and obviously the previous owner never had them updated.

I don't know nearly as much about fuel or outboards as some people on this board, but I can say that all of my information comes from Mercury Marine, and some outstanding Merc Techs over at the mercury forum on bassboatcentraldotcom, there is a ton of discussion on this exact topic on that forum, it's very informative and educational stuff for a guy like me.

I don't know if the other outboard manufacturers have had any problems with fuel lines, but it's a very cheap fix, so hopefully this helps someone else avoid problems down the road. I'll be taking my boat out for a test run tomorrow, hopefully the new lines, bulb and fuel filter take care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
John,
I don't think that your pictures gave any indication that the fuel line was being eaten up by the fuel. It also doesn't appear that the fuel bulb was being destroyed by the fuel.

Rather, it looked simply like these deposits were dried residue of fuel.
i.e. fuel had been left in the hose and squeeze bulb during storage and the fuel had evaporated. It appears that this was the residue that was left behind after the fuel had evaporated.

However, it is very interesting that you posted the pictures, because I suspect that depending on what fuel is in use, and whether it has been treated or not could leave similar deposits in many boats.

It would be interesting if you could take the squeeze bulb and split hose to a chemist for a chemical analysis of the deposits seen in the pictures.

I am very doubtful that the chemist would find any rubber product in the deposit, but rather only fuel residue by products.

If you do have the analysis done - let us know.

By the way, prior to the issue, did you or the user of the boat and motor commonly run stabil or sea foam or similar product in the fuel tank and motor all of the time?

Just wondering.

REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 AM
TrapperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
John,
I don't think that your pictures gave any indication that the fuel line was being eaten up by the fuel. It also doesn't appear that the fuel bulb was being destroyed by the fuel.

Rather, it looked simply like these deposits were dried residue of fuel.
i.e. fuel had been left in the hose and squeeze bulb during storage and the fuel had evaporated. It appears that this was the residue that was left behind after the fuel had evaporated.

However, it is very interesting that you posted the pictures, because I suspect that depending on what fuel is in use, and whether it has been treated or not could leave similar deposits in many boats.

It would be interesting if you could take the squeeze bulb and split hose to a chemist for a chemical analysis of the deposits seen in the pictures.

I am very doubtful that the chemist would find any rubber product in the deposit, but rather only fuel residue by products.

If you do have the analysis done - let us know.

By the way, prior to the issue, did you or the user of the boat and motor commonly run stabil or sea foam or similar product in the fuel tank and motor all of the time?

Just wondering.

REW

Don't try and be an expert, this is clearly a result of ethonol eating the lining of the fuel lines.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Slot Fish

Location: Sioux Lookout, Lac Seul, MAPB, Lake St Joe, and usually on an island

btw a great place to get an analysis done is Lube Tech in Rosedale I think, I was there awhile ago, we have sent them stuff before and they can tell you everything that is in all oils or lubricants or even fuel that they test at there shop. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Wallhanger

Alot of people do not want to admit that there is a problem with ethanol, and they believe that anything 10 years old should all have ethanol resistant lines. HORSEPUCKY! My 2008 triton that i purchased used 2 years ago from a guy in minnesota had the exact same issues. It had only been run 29 hours when I bought it but the fuel lines were already compromised. I have had extensive "discussions" with plenty of people, including on this forum, about the problem of ethanol disintegrating fuel lines. I changed the fuel lines to ethanol resistant and the old ones were flat out terrible. Some people just don't want to get off the corn sugar and admit there is a problem. there is also plenty of research out there that proves some of these issues. Just because some people "have been running ethanol "in all there rigs for years with not one problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Trapper,
Did you run a chemical analysis of the deposits in the fuel line and bulb to verify your statement?

If you did not run a chemical analysis, of these particular deposits pictured, how can you make such a positive statement?

Just wondering.

I said in my original post that a chemical analysis was necessary to verify the source of the deposits. What could be clearer than that statement?

REW
Old 03-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Wallhanger

Go to BBC for all the answers you seek
Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Wallhanger

what kgone said x2
Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Wallhanger

It almost made me throw up. Good grief. Thank goodness for fuel filters.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Wallhanger

Lightbulb

Is there no where to buy non-ethanol gas in your area? Only in an emergency would I put that fuel in my boat, lawn tractor, blower or weed whip? I pay a little more 91 premium, but is well worth in it in long run!

Lou
Old 03-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Keeper

If it was the fuel line or bulb degrading, wouldn't the crud be the color of the line or bulb ?