Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
the taste of muskie - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2002, 09:36 PM
Minnow

Default the taste of muskie

Anyone eatin any?Is it better,same or worse than pike?Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2002, 05:12 AM
Patrick

Default RE: the taste of muskie

To me, it used to taste just like pike. Now that I have understood a few things about musky, though, the flesh tastes aweful. In fact, it has become the pure taste of remorse for killing a noble fish which is, oftentimes, above 15 years old (I'm talking real musky here, 36+), and I feel the same towards pike above 14 pounds. To use the expression of a famous guide I know, "the only fish I eat is triangular in shape!" (Did I really write that down???) Tight lines everybody!
Old 08-25-2002, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Don't eat them! Let them go...all of them!

I was talking with a guy yesterday who lives on one of the best Musky lakes in my area. He "killed" a 43" the other day and his neighbor was mounting a 48"....I was bummed to say the least! This same lake produced 3 for us the other morning in under four hours. I told him this and the first thing he said was, "Did you keep any of them?" "Never".......was the response.

Measure it, take a picture and get a replica made. I don't understand why people need to mount the real deal...

They are AWESOME to catch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2002, 06:49 PM
Slot Fish

I'm as strongly in favor of C&R as anyone but if a fish just will not revive, despite all efforts, I'd have no problem eating it. To me, it's a bigger waste to leave the fish to rot than to use it. By no means am I advocating the meat-hunting of muskies. Sometimes, the fish just doesn't make it and I believe it is better not to let it go to waste.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:14 PM
btpf

My friend called me yesterday and told me that he was taking some garbage out to the dumpster when a neighbor pulled into the parking lot with his boat. My buddy asked him if he caught anything and the guy shows him a 38" in musky. :(

He said he caught it and it was the biggest fish hes ever caught and wanted to show it to his girlfriend. He said he didnt even know how to clean fish. :(

Some people just dont care about anything.

Old 08-26-2002, 07:51 PM
Wallhanger

I only like the cheek meat in the musky, so when I catch them I cut that portion off and return it to the lake. The musky in my lake are not so cheeky now and are more predictable.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:08 PM
Ryan B.

I've heard it said 'the flavor (of muskie) makes walleye taste like largemouth bass.'

tin cup to muskie pro.

Old 08-27-2002, 06:46 AM
Slot Fish

To me, muskies taste just like chicken!

Old 08-27-2002, 06:46 PM
Minnow

It's good, but I prefer bald eagle. The meat's much more tender.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:41 AM
Keeper

FYI: MCWD.........

Just today (8/28/02) the DNR has issued a warning regarding the MCWD. The Muskie Cronic Wasting Disease(MCWD) effects the brain of the muskie. Diseased fish will often be lethargic, found surfacing in deeper water, and generally not cooperating in the chasing or hitting of lures. The muskie, both the natural and tiger, is presently on the DO NOT consume list. Also, Taxidermists are warned not to accept any muskies for mounting.

Please be careful out there. It is strictly C & R and ABSOLUTELY NO MUSKIE CONSUMPTION until further notice!!!!!