Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Remington 750 Woodsmaster - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Noah Cantel

Default Remington 750 Woodsmaster

Has anyone had any experience with this semi auto rifle. . . please fill me in on yeahs and nays . . please be specific. I want to get a 30.06 carbine. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2015, 07:49 PM
Wallhanger

It's the same as a 7400 with a new name and a little different wood look. They're a servicible rifle that works good enough if you keep them clean. The extractor on them is a POS and breaks at the worst opportune moment and isn't cheap to replace.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:06 AM
Wallhanger

I have a model 4 that is over 30 years old and 2 model 7400 carbine that are at least 15 years old . Never any trouble . All I do is clean them after the season and put them in the safe . All 3 are 30/06. All wear leupold scope and all shoot inch groups at 100 yards when I do my part .

Last edited by jarhead; 06-21-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 07:59 AM
Wallhanger

No help on the 750 Woodsmaster, but I have a 7400 30-06 carbine.
Once it didn't fully eject the fired casing when hunting in some bitter weather, but other than that I've had no problems with it and it's also very accurate.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:33 AM
Wallhanger

Generally dependable, usually accurate. However, they do wear out. It's like asking a shotgun action (12,000psi peak pressure) to do the job with a centerfire rifle cartridge (peak pressure around 60,000psi).
If buying used, open the action and check all those 90 degree machined angles inside the receiver for wear. When new, they are sharp enough to cut your finger. The edges wear down with extensive use. As my brother-in-law was told by one of the best gunsmiths in MN, they aren't really a multi-generation firearm. My BIL's rifle was worn, but was in good shape compared to a worn out receiver the smith had kept as an example of a worn out rifle.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:39 AM
Wallhanger

I had a semi auto Remington 7400 or 7600 something like that. Never again. It was my first deer gun and never held a pattern. Folks thought I was the worlds worst shot. Saved up bought a Browning A bolt Stalker. Still haven't missed since I brought that gun.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Wallhanger

When sighting in off a rest, especially a firm rest like sandbags, don't rest the forearm of any rifle with a two piece stock on the bags. Rest the receiver on the bags.
A better rest is something soft like a rolled up sleeping bag. The rifle doesn't bounce and will be shooting close to where it shoots when hand held.

Any barrel will prefer one bullet weight and even brand over any others. It's what drove people like me to handloading. Unfortunately it's not up to the shooter or what ammunition is on sale. It's up to the barrel. The shooter has to find what the rifle wants, kind of like finding what bait/lure and presentation fish want.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Over the years they have gotten a bad rep but that's mostly due to guys not cleaning them properly. Just like my old Rem 1100 shotgun. You clean, oil and make sure the gas ports are clear regularly and they never let you down.
Many if not most have accuracy problems and there's nothing you can do about that. If you NEED a large bore semi-auto get a browning or a Benelli OR move to an AR platform.

The pump action version of that gun receives a lot more respect from seasoned hunters.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:46 PM
Noah Cantell

Default Thanks Guys.

Dirty firearms never happen in my house. I'm going ahead with it but will lapp/polish the chamber, and clips with lapp compound. Because I've dislocated both my shoulders in my lifetime do you think I need a muzzle brake? I'll put a "Dead Mule" in the stock for sure.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Wallhanger

A BAR is a much better gun than the 7500... Easier to clean, more reliable, lots of varieties to choose from finish wise.

Seen enough various Remington autos act like total garbage to never have an interest in one ever again. Shotgun and rifles both....