Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Replacing dual console with full windshield on Lund 2008 Pro-V - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Minnow

Default Replacing dual console with full windshield on Lund 2008 Pro-V

I purchased a 2008 1800 Lund Pro-V with the dual windshield and would now like to swap it out for a full glass windshield. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Spoke with a dealer who indicated the entire console (both sides) would need to be swapped out in order to support a full windshield. So the entire job would run around $3500.

Has anyone gone through this with any experiences to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Kdag,
Another option that would cost you less $$$$$$$ would be to go to a cover or canvas shop and have them make you a couple of covers.
You can have one cover made which will go between the consoles.
You can then have another cover and frame made that will go between the double windshields to provide the protection of the center windshield.
It looks a bit odd, but it will work just fine.

I know that some folks have simply picked up a third console windshield, and then had a shop make up a swing away frame that would hold the 3rd windshield in position for protection.

I don't know if it is on the market any more but there used to be a company that made such a set of shields for just such boats.
i.e. double console boat owners that wanted center protection from wind and spray.

Good luck
REW
Old 02-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Wallhanger

There have been a lot of these posts. From what I've seen, it would be hard to do the conversion for less than around $3500-4000, and a considerable amount of time and effort. You may be able to sell your existing consoles, especially the port side, to reduce the overall cost. You also have to factor in the fact that it could potentially void the hull warranty from Lund.

In the end, (unless REW's plan works for you, and I don't think it would for most people) if you really want the full windshield, the easiest, and often the least expensive, way to go about it is to simply sell your current boat and buy one with the full windshield. I know that's not what you wanted to hear,

Waxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the reply. The boats at the dealer getting a Pro-Kicker added. They are going to call Lund and get the list of parts needed, then I'll have a better idea of the cost.

Regarding selling this boat and buying another.....I've thought about it. Even if I shell out $3500 - $4000 for this conversion, its still cheaper than buying another boat.

Regarding the warranty, its likely only the console caps need to be replaced, so I don't know that warranty would be an issue.

Either way, with the money spent on the kicker, I'll not likely pursue this conversion this season.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Wallhanger

i have a pro v double bubble and sometimes wish i had the full windshield. i have considered taking it to a local machine shop and seeing what it would cost to have an aluminum frame made to fit factory glass. the other option would have the glass cut to specifications per the frame that would be custom built to fit our current consoles. let us know what ya find out tho.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Keeper

If time is on your side check ebay periodically. I've seen a few complete windshields on there for Lunds. Might be a cheaper way to go.
MG Xi5 72" 105 36v
HDS Live 12 w/totalscan/ Carbon 12-bow
Old 03-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusso View Post
If time is on your side check ebay periodically. I've seen a few complete windshields on there for Lunds. Might be a cheaper way to go.
and you may not have to stick with a lund pro-v windshield. any boat windshield could be fabricated around to work and probably look nice as well.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Good luck on your quest!!! About a year ago I wanted to do the same thing , swap my dual consoles for walk through on my 2007 1800 pro-v. I contacted the closest lund dealer (Denver) and told them what I would like to do, They told me I had to contact LUND so I did they told me that not only would it void my warranty but they would not even sell me the parts to do this. I asked if I took my boat to their factory and had them do the work could it be done? They said NO!! You know I don't have a problem fishing with the dual consoles as a matter of fact I like it but in order to cover my boat or trailer it I have to remove the bubbles and the electronics this sucks. I guess the ranger dual consoles all you have to do is replace the double bubbles with the factory walk through windshields I sure wish we had this option with our lunds. Let us know if you get anywhere with your quest. Jim
Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim L View Post
I guess the ranger dual consoles all you have to do is replace the double bubbles with the factory walk through windshields
I believe this is true for Alumacraft as well. I am trying to do the same thing right now on a Alumacraft Dominator 175 that came with double bubbles. My alumacraft dealer quoted me a price for just the full windshield. Think it was around $700.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdagostino View Post
Thanks for the reply. The boats at the dealer getting a Pro-Kicker added. They are going to call Lund and get the list of parts needed, then I'll have a better idea of the cost.

Regarding selling this boat and buying another.....I've thought about it. Even if I shell out $3500 - $4000 for this conversion, its still cheaper than buying another boat.

Regarding the warranty, its likely only the console caps need to be replaced, so I don't know that warranty would be an issue.

Either way, with the money spent on the kicker, I'll not likely pursue this conversion this season.

Thanks!
I hope your dealer comes through for you, but I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed with Lund's response.

As for buying and selling, I'd be really surprised if an additional $3500-4000 doesn't buy you the same year range and model boat with roughly the same options, only with a full windshield. I know that's in the ballpark (actually on the high side) for the price difference I came up with when I considered doing the switch - in the end I didn't think the windshield and was worth $2-4000 and the hassle. Depending on what you ultimately want in a boat, you could probably have a boat with a windshield in your driveway and put some money in your pocket at the same time.

Waxy