Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling speed - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Minnow

Default Trolling speed

I am considering buying a 2001 Lund angler tiller with a 80hp 4 stroke not efi engine on it. My question is will this engine troll down to trolling speeds for 3 way and lead core trolling. I mostly fish rivers. He has a garmin 240 on it with temp and speed but no gps. he says on the speed it says 1.5 to 2mph when trolled down but not sure how accurate this is. Does anybody have this engine alone or is a kicker needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdoc View Post
I am considering buying a 2001 Lund angler tiller with a 80hp 4 stroke not efi engine on it. My question is will this engine troll down to trolling speeds for 3 way and lead core trolling. I mostly fish rivers. He has a garmin 240 on it with temp and speed but no gps. he says on the speed it says 1.5 to 2mph when trolled down but not sure how accurate this is. Does anybody have this engine alone or is a kicker needed.
I've never seen any main motor EVER troll below 2.0 MPH without drift socks or some other type of drag. I'd be skeptical about what he says. I'm not saying it's not possible, I've just never seen it.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Keeper

I doubt it will go that slow. I have a Lund Pro Angler with a 60 4 stroke with a smartcraft gauge. On flat water it runs 2.5 mph. Backtrolling it is 1.7 mph. If I put out downriggers for salmon the speed really drops off.

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE!!

You don't hunt or fish? I SEE NO POINT IN TALKING TO YOU!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Friend of mine I fish with has that motor, on a 1775 Pro V - so similar, but not exactly what you have. Forward trolling slowest speed is 2.2-2.5 range, depending on the wind.

Not sure about backtrolling without any speed reducing devices as he always uses a bag off the front if he is using the big motor for backtrolling. Bag off the bow works well for backtrolling in windy conditions, but most backtrolling is performed with the vantage.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the info, so it looks like if I want this boat I will need a kicker for the trolling end of it which makes me wonder now do I want a tiller for my main motor since it cant do it all.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Fishdoc,
You can always get the motor to troll as slow as you want if you put a flat enough prop on it.

If the normal running prop gives you a speed of 2 mph, then, put on a prop with a pitch that is 2-4 inches less pitch. You will be able to troll more slowly. Obviously the lower pitch will mean that your top speed is less, and you will have to keep an eye on the tach to avoid over revving the motor.

But, if you do want to troll more slowly, do not want to add a kicker and don't have a long way to run to your fishing ground - then the use of a much lower pitch than standard is a possible option for your rig.

Good luck
REW
Old 03-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Minnow

I guess the real question then to throw out there is would most walleye trollers be happy or make do with an 80hp trolling if money was an issue or would you look for an option to troll with different setup.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdoc View Post
I guess the real question then to throw out there is would most walleye trollers be happy or make do with an 80hp trolling if money was an issue or would you look for an option to troll with different setup.
Depends on the guy FishDoc. Me personally.... No. When I do troll I love setting my kicker at X.X MPH and then setting my Terrova at X.X + 0.5 MPH. This allows me to steer with my Terrova and the I-Pilot. I can stand in the back and steer with the remote. Or when I'm trolling rigs slow enough I'll use just my Terrova.

So point being is I would hate to sit back there all day holding onto the tiller handle while back trolling or forward trolling.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Wallhanger

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/ti...amerdriftsocks

There is always the drift sock method for forward trolling.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Keeper

Location: Illinois- Where there’s a good chance your license plates were made by a former Governor

Surprised no one has mentioned trim tabs yet. I don't have them- only know what I've read. Seems they might be a viable solution with other benefits as well. Maybe others with first-hand knowledge can expound.

Rick