Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
new member hello and boat question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Minnow

Default new member hello and boat question

Hello everyone, Ive been lurking on here for a while and what a great site. Im currently shopping for a new boat and thats what led me here. Im looking at a used 2005 lund pro v 1900, It has a 225 yamaha on it with low hours. The owner just had lower unit replaced due to a rock impact, would that be something i should be worried about? Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard.

I would only be worried if the owner didn't have it replaced.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skyline View Post
Hello everyone, Ive been lurking on here for a while and what a great site. Im currently shopping for a new boat and thats what led me here. Im looking at a used 2005 lund pro v 1900, It has a 225 yamaha on it with low hours. The owner just had lower unit replaced due to a rock impact, would that be something i should be worried about? Thanks for any info.
Darn right it could be.

Take it to a good mechanic and pay to have it looked at before you buy it.

Have the boat itself inspected too for damage, there could be fractures from the impact.
That's a lot of money to drop without really knowing what is what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 AM
Wallhanger

Welcome, and a word of advice. What ever boat you buy, TAKE IT FOR A TEST RIDE!!!! Go for a long ride, and put it through its paces. Make sure the engine, pumps, etc all work like they should. If the guy balks and does not want to do it, take that as a sign there may be problems.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Wallhanger

Welcome. Good news is the lower end is done. I would however look the boat over pretty good and by someone you know that can look it over. Run it around for a test drive. Play with things. Lund makes some great boats. Have fun
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 AM
antlers2274

Smile thanks everyone.

The seller was very open to a test drive but the weather has been very cold here lately. He said to call him when it warms up a little and he could start it or we could take it out for a test drive. Im not in a huge hurry cause I have a boat but would like to get something before spring. Pro vs are hard to come by in these parts it appears. Or maybe its just the time of year. My plan is to take it to our local Lund dealer and pay for a good once over, I think the expense is well worth it.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Get the paperwork

First, welcome aboard......

Second, ask the seller for a copy of his paperwork on the lower unit replacement. It was most likely an insurance claim, and probably a pricey one at that. The seller should have paperwork on the lower unit replacement, and what shop did the work ? I'd follow-up with that shop and talk with them.

You didn't say if the gears were replaced with the lower unit....hopefully so, as if the impact was enough to damage the case, the impact could have well damaged the gears. I'd say once you talk with the marina/shop that worked on the Yamaha, you should have the answers to your questions.

Lastly, those were very good suggestions to have the rig looked all over as well (incl the transom) by someone you trust. May well help avoid any surprises for you if you purchase this rig.

Good luck with your decision and finding out the info you need.

Rich B
Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Minnow

Default thanks Rich.

He said he paid 3400 for the repairs and had all paperwork. I didnt ask to see it but I will if I go back for a test drive. After checking with bank today it looks like he is way high on his asking price. I have half down and I know Lunds sell really high but I dont wanna over pay too much.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skyline View Post
He said he paid 3400 for the repairs and had all paperwork. I didnt ask to see it but I will if I go back for a test drive. After checking with bank today it looks like he is way high on his asking price. I have half down and I know Lunds sell really high but I dont wanna over pay too much.
Keep in mind... most banks never know how to book out a fishing boat, engine,(s) trailer, and extras.
They are used to cars.
They always leave out major things.
I had them calling me from all over the state for values when I was a dealer.
It just isn't something that most banks get into.

There are a few lending institutions who specialize in boat loans... and they do know their stuff, but those are ones that work through dealers buying the retail paper. They are the ones offering good rates at boat shows, etc.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Wallhanger

Try looking up www.reclending.com They are here on WC in the sponsored forum of boat financing. They handle loans both through dealers and also individuals buying from private sellers. They should have an accurate value of boats.

Oh yeah, Welcome Aboard!