Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Reata hull design - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 11-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Keeper

Default Reata hull design

Hello I am in the market for a Reata and would like to find something used. Wondering if someone could shed some light on the hull design history. Some of the boats I see advertised appear to be a shallower hull design. Like the earlier VS models 01-04 compared to the later years LS. Are the LS and VS hulls different in a given year? What year did they start making the LS?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Keeper

The vs hulls are bass boat based. The LS 1850 series came out in 2005 and are a deep v design.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Keeper

Thanks Turgeon, which hulls are the RS models built on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Keeper

RS hulls are the deep v. LS changed to RS a couple years, the hull is the same but the RS topcap is a little wider, longer and taller.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the replies. Is the console in the same place on the RS and LS?
Again thanks for the replies
Old 11-08-2015, 07:55 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320bull View Post
Thanks for the replies. Is the console in the same place on the RS and LS?
Again thanks for the replies
Yes, overall layout is the same. Splash well and dash changed and port side storage changed a rod locker in RS, as well as the topcap specs.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Keeper

Thank you, sure helps to have that information without driving hrs to go look at them. I fished out of a 186 fsx and was wondering how the cockpit size compares? Anyone have time in both? I really liked the size of the yarcraft and wonder how the reata would measure up
Old 11-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Keeper

Good topic and information. Thanks
Old 11-08-2015, 10:55 PM

I'm betting the 186 Yarcraft haul is going to ride better/ faster that any other 18-1/2' hulls out there. The Warrior 1898 handles the rough water and is dry, don't know if the quirky porpoising problems have been addressed, and interior room is going to be less on the Warrior.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:01 AM
Wallhanger

I can say I have been both enough to compare. My business partner owns a Reata and I have a 186FSX. The Yar-craft has more cockpit room but slightly less bow area than the reata. Both are well built. I haven't been able to see a significant difference in ride between either, atleast in the conditions that I been out in the Reata. I was honestly very impressed with the Reata ride. I can say without any doubt there is a reason the Yar-craft is nicknamed "The Dry One". The Reata will have a wet windshield anytime the wind is blowing at all and will take water over the bow fairly easy. The Yar-craft rides noses high and has a nice chine right on the edge of the hull that seems to keep the spray a lot lower. The downside, put a 72" shaft TM on the Yar-craft. My 60 inch Terrova comes out of the water fairly easy and I then end up running the kicker. The Reata has a sweet convertible bow, I wish Yar-craft would do this and have urged them to do so. If your a person that would use the convertible bow a lot flipping it up for fishing and down for joy riding, it's a definite plus. I had to build my own bow panel for my 186 which turned out awesome, but it doesn't stow away nice like the ranger. To be honest, after installing mine, I've yet to take it out so it works great for me. The Yar-craft is a FAST hull, there's no two ways around it. It's also rated for 200 hp where-as the ranger is rated at a 175. The Reata I've been in has a Yamaha F150 on it and runs mid 40s with two guys, gear and fuel. I run a 200 Opti and with my 21P DAH Tempest and the same load I'm running 58-60 mph. I think rod storage is about the same for both. The ski pole on the Reata is just a single pole, the yarcraft has support arms that pin in place. Although dimensionally they are the same, when sitting on the trailer both of us have commented that the 186 looks like a much bigger boat for some reason. Not sure if it's because it sitting on a tandem trailer vs the Reatas single axle trailer or what, but it just looks bigger.

That's about the best run down I can give off the top of my mind. Good luck, both are very nice rigs.