Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
pro kicker not shifting - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 07-08-2011, 05:28 AM
Wallhanger

Default pro kicker not shifting

I have a 08 merc prokicker, with controls at the helm, that wont shift into gear. It starts great revs up and idles fine but it will not allow me to actually shift it into gear. I can move the shifter forward but it wont shift and i cant move the shifter backwards at all......

Any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Keeper

I bet you have a broken shift cable, they tend to get weak from the trimming up and down which causes the cable to kink where it enters the motor.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Wallhanger

There's a little metal plate in front of the cowling with two slots in it. One is for the throttle cable, the other for the shifter cable. There is a nut on each side to lock the cable into it, and to adjust the tension. Sometimes the cables pop out of the plate. I can't remember if it's Yammy or Merc that has another plate hinged at the end to lock them in from the top, but most likely, your shifter cable popped out of the slot. My buddy had this same thing happen while on the lake last year, and I mentioned the plate over the radio, and he fixed the problem in about three seconds. If that doesn't work, take the cowling off and move the control in and out of gear to see if it's shifting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Wallhanger

Is the neutral throttle lever pushed all the way down?