Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Used Tiller boats - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-07-2016, 08:35 AM
Minnow

Default Used Tiller boats

I currently have an old Lund renegade and I love the boat...it fishes just fine but I have a growing family and need more space, plus I have gotten bit by the tiller bug. My question is what are some models that I should be looking for, i have never looked at tiller boats unless it was a older rebel or something like that, but I want something bigger... I am thinking 17 foot, 80 inch beam, and a 60HP motor as minimums. What models of boats should I be looking for? Keep in mind that my current boat is a 1987, so a boat from the mid 90's to the early 2000s is a **** of an upgrade for me. I fish mostly on bigger water, Mo river, SD... Iowa Great lakes, and some Minnesota lakes... After this last trip to Minn, I can see myself up there a lot more in the years to come. I am sure some of you have owned just what I am looking for, or own it now and can lead me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Slot Fish

Default best tiller boat

I'm kind of partial to Lund , so I am going to recommend a 1775 Pro-V tiller
or a 1800 Pro-V tiller. They measure about 17'9 inches long 88 inches wide for the
1775 , and 18'3 inches long and 93 inches wide for the 1800 . Power with a 4 stroke
about 75 to 90 hp . Lots of room and user friendly . Very safe and bullet proof boats .
A 2003 will set you back around $15000 for the 1800 , depending on accessories.
I'm an older duffer (75) and have a 2003 Lund 1800 Pro-V with a Yamaha 90 hp 4s.
I feel very safe , and the boat is a very fishing friendly and easy to load and handle.
These are My opinions .
I'm sure you will get lots of other ideas.
EWK
Old 09-07-2016, 03:45 PM
Wallhanger

If you are going to be fishing bigger water and are firm on a 17 footer you should try to find a Yar Craft 1785 unless there is some reason you don't want a fiberglass boat. They are rated for a 75hp. Hard to find because people love them. Warrior and Ranger 18 footers are great boats also in glass boats. I have a 17 foot Backtroller Avid with a 70 Suzuki that handles anything I care to go out in, but you won't find any used ones as the company is only a few years old.
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2016, 05:05 AM
Wallhanger

jbg1219. check your pm.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:02 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

It was posted online last week that Skeeter Boat Center had taken a Backtroller in on trade. Check with them.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

In the 16-17' tiller boat, 60 hp motor, an interesting boat to consider is the 1600 Lund Alaskan.

A nice boat, light and easy to handle precisely, handles big water extremely well, performs very well with a 60 hp motor. On the downside - storage capacity for fishing gear is poor. For improved fishing gear storage capabilities, it's hard to not move up to a 1775 Pro Guide which carries a 90 hp tiller rating.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:24 PM
kabekonacrazy can log in

Quote:
Originally Posted by undguy View Post
If you are going to be fishing bigger water and are firm on a 17 footer you should try to find a Yar Craft 1785 unless there is some reason you don't want a fiberglass boat. They are rated for a 75hp. Hard to find because people love them. Warrior and Ranger 18 footers are great boats also in glass boats. I have a 17 foot Backtroller Avid with a 70 Suzuki that handles anything I care to go out in, but you won't find any used ones as the company is only a few years old.
Ther just happens to be a really nice one at Skeeter Boat Center in Ramsey right now. Brand new 75 Yamaha and in perfect condition!
Old 09-08-2016, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

The Alumacraft competitor may also fit? The older 170 is a 16'6 or the the newer 175 models
Old 09-08-2016, 05:48 PM
Wallhanger

Look for a 1800 Pro v Lund with a 90, you will be happy.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:50 PM
Keeper

You can't go wrong with a mid-90's ProV tiller. I have the 1660 with a 60hp Mercury and since I mostly fish just by myself, it is absolutely perfect. Have been out with 3 adults plus 2 children and it is a bit cramped at that point. I would think one of the roughly 18' boats already mentioned, with a 90hp would be perfect for what you are looking for.

Tillers are roomy boats, removing the console frees up so much extra room especially for moving around in the boat. This is my first real experience with a tiller boat other than rentals, and it feels much more like my previous almost 20ft console boat.