Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I am shocked - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Wallhanger

Default I am shocked

I am not even a Lowrance guy and I find the lack of talk about the Lowrance HDS12 Touch coming out surprising. I would think at least LOW would attempt to make a buzz about this.
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Wallhanger

$3500. Who's really going to bother!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Kelly View Post
I guess I saw it listed at $3200. Not much more than an HDS10 with SI/DI. If you look at Garmin high end marine electronics we are talking $6,000+ for 15" screens.
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Keeper

3,500 is a lot of jack for something that will most likely be obsolete in 3-5 years
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Wallhanger

The price scares me away, but even if I would pay that much, I'd be scarred a few years down the road it wouldn't be repairable, and they'd just try to sell a newer model. Real gun shy!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhowellsfishing View Post
The price scares me away, but even if I would pay that much, I'd be scarred a few years down the road it wouldn't be repairable, and they'd just try to sell a newer model. Real gun shy!
That was one reason I went with HB when I did. To many LOW horror stories about making "modern" units legacy units.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Wallhanger

I'm shocked that Hummingbird released a pogo stick tranducer for 2000.00 that requires a compatible hummingbird add a 10 inch unit and your over 5500.00.

Get ready to custy up bass fisherman! I blame solely on the price of stuff going up, 25.00 cranks, flourocarbon at 50 per box, 500.00 rods etc. Walleye fisherman (or majority) won't pay these insane prices. I know the price of stuff is going up but if you look at walleye specific gear it's maintained it's pricing structure (within 5%) the past 5-10 years like trolling rods, linecounters, walleye cranks etc.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Kelly View Post
I think the bigger issue is that you can't go and get your hands on one anywhere. I had my hands on the HDS7 Touch, and I can tell you, it's NICE. It certainly makes a guy think about spending the money.

If you figure out actual costs, the new touch screens are a pretty good deal, IF you don't already have Gen2 units and the LSS2 structure scan in particular.

HDS 10 = $2200, LSS2 = $600 That's $2800 all in at retail pricing, but there are deals to be had these days.

If you can pick up the HDS12 for $3200-3500, you're getting everything in one easy package along with the bigger screen and the latest technology. Not too bad, especially if you're a technology guy or really like the idea of the touch screen.

If you've already spent that $2800 though, the idea of spending $3500 to replace your $2800 investment to get 2" more screen and touch control is kinda hard to take.

All this stuff is ridiculously expensive no matter how you cut it.

Waxy

ON EDIT: I forgot that you have to buy the StructureScan transducer to go with the Touch units, that adds another $250-300. Ouch. Maybe not as good a deal as I thought initially...

Last edited by Waxy; 01-09-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Gonefishin View Post
I'm shocked that Hummingbird released a pogo stick tranducer for 2000.00 that requires a compatible hummingbird add a 10 inch unit and your over 5500.00...
And you should really get a Talon too.

The new touch 12's were announced months before they became available, tempering the talk. Add to that, not many in the Walleye world are running boats until the ice melts.

As a General rule - the touch units are $200 more than HDS Gen 2.

The processor speed is the biggest improvement imo. Weather I touch the screen, or push the buttons, it's hard to put a higher value on one over the other. Having internal LSS - that's a benefit - I don't have to mount another box, string more wires.

The rest of the value is still in front of us - we'll have to see if what LOW has planned actually get's released. If so, the value will get much better.

I do agree though - I don't take every electronics update like I used to, and when the 2 - 10" screens come off my console, there won't be 2 large screen units going back on.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
3,500 is a lot of jack for something that will most likely be obsolete in 3-5 years
or just plain quit working day after warantee expires.