Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
solo loading, roller trailer, part 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Default solo loading, roller trailer, part 2

This past week I had an opportunity to try something new, while retrieving my Lund on it's roller trailer. The wind & waves were blowing into/crosswise at the ramp, so I didn't want to try driving on. I recently replaced my winch strap with one that has a slightly narrower hook on it, that fits within the sideplates of my winch.

Using the 3/8" double-braid nylon rope that I have permanently tied to the bow eye, I walked the hull down the dock, led it into the trailer, and clipped the bow rope to the winch strap. Using the winch, I pulled the boat onto the trailer, got close to the winch stand, clipped on the safety chain, and pulled out. Once I was out of the way, pulled the bow rope off the winch, clipped-on the strap, and snugged 'er up.

Stayed dry and no need to walk out on the trailer. The narrower hook allowed it to lay flat on the winch, so the 3/8" rope could just coil on over it.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winch strap.jpg
Views:	1057
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	113929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	113937  

Last edited by Hot Runr Guy; 10-20-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Wallhanger

OMG! That is SO obvious, and yet here I have been wading out to hook the winch to the bow eye, after I use the rope to guide it into the trailer - for years now!
Since the boat is in storage at a major local marine dealer, it should be nothin' to pick up a new, narrower snap for the winch. Thanks HRG, my cold, wet feet thank you even more!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBS View Post
OMG! That is SO obvious, and yet here I have been wading out to hook the winch to the bow eye, after I use the rope to guide it into the trailer - for years now!
Since the boat is in storage at a major local marine dealer, it should be nothin' to pick up a new, narrower snap for the winch. Thanks HRG, my cold, wet feet thank you even more!
GBS,
Here's another option I'm going to try, called a SkyWinch. I am going to add it to my winch post, not replacing my current winch, and see how well it works, again using the bow line to get the hook close enough to allow me to attach the strap and finish the job.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...out/basket.jsp

There's a pretty "hokey" YouTube video of it, and while it's a little wobbly in use, again, I'm not going to replace my primary winch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FzY5sszXmE

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Wallhanger

That Skywinch looks like a nice add on. Only thing I would not like is all that line laying at my feet in the bow while I fish.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 AM
Wallhanger

I suppose you could snap the line on when you get to the dock?

Crestliner Sportfish 1750
Johnzuki 115
GMC Sierra
Fish in the box!
Beer on ice.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:41 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
GBS,
Here's another option I'm going to try, called a SkyWinch. I am going to add it to my winch post, not replacing my current winch, and see how well it works, again using the bow line to get the hook close enough to allow me to attach the strap and finish the job.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...out/basket.jsp

HRG
This is a great idea! At $53, it's a cheap solution. How would you mount this on the winch post? Would you mount it above and behind the existing winch to utilize the bow roller?
Old 05-15-2015, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
This is a great idea! At $53, it's a cheap solution. How would you mount this on the winch post? Would you mount it above and behind the existing winch to utilize the bow roller?
Well, after buying one, I realized it's a pretty marginal piece of equipment (IMO), so I returned it to Cabelas.

But yes, my mock-up had it forward & above the existing winch.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skywinch.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	153577  
Old 05-15-2015, 05:19 AM
Wallhanger

Pretty darn ingenious HRG. I will be doing the same thing to my trailer.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBS View Post
I slip on a pair of knee boots to keep my feet dry while I wade out with the winch line.

When you pick up a new snap, make sure the snap (and the bow rope) are rated for more working load than the winch can pull!