Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
be careful with exercise - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 07-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Keeper

Default be careful with exercise

I swim my pup and the fetch sessions are short. This 100 degree weather is brutal. If I did not have ac, I think pup would be in the basement with me like we used to do in the old days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Wallhanger

This is probably obvious to most owners, but be careful walking your dogs this time of year as well. Don't walk them in the heat of the day...especially not on pavement or concrete. I know a girl who works at a vet clinic and they have seen a couple of dogs come in with blistered feet. Even if they don't blister, they can be in some serious pain. My dog is black, high energy and has a high metabolism. He overheats easily, so our walks are in the evening just before sunset.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

My dog is soooo bored right now. She lives to retrieve the kong on the rope that I throw for her; usually several times a day. But, right now she only gets to play at sunrise and sunset when it cools off enough for her to run. And, even then it's only a handful of times, so she doesn't overheat.

She is the type of personality that would drop dead before she would stop retrieving, so I have to make that decision for her.

She gets to lay in the AC all day while I'm out fishing, because it's too hot in the boat for her right now.

I also put ice cubes in her water bowl...she likes that.

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Wallhanger

My dog doesn't play fetch. He plays stick. He will bring it back a few times, but when he starts to get hot he hides it. I don't buy him toys very often because most of the time he destroys them in short order, and the ones that aren't easily destroyed he hides. He is very good at hiding stuff too. I don't know where his toys end up, but I guess there must be a stockpile somewhere.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Wallhanger

We have 2 dogs 1 black lab that stays out for about 45 mins then she will go over to the kiddie pool and lay in it for another 15 mins then comes inside to the A/C for about 2 hours then back to the pool. The other is a beagle that will not go to the shade or pool she just flops over in the sun and lays there until you force her to move, when she comes inside she begs to go back out in 5 mins. Both are over wieght and spoiled.