Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Congratulations Brian Blliske and Lynn Niklasch MWS winners - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2002, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Congratulations Brian Blliske and Lynn Niklasch MWS winners

Brian Bliske and Lynn Niklasch won the Sturgeon Bay Midwest Walleye Series with 31.41#. Second place went to Steve Meyer and Todd Ritzke with 30.92#. Third place went to the team of Mark Bohlman and Jason Przekurat with 29.68#.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2002, 12:34 PM
LYNN

Default RE: Congratulations Brian Blliske and Lynn Niklasch MWS winners

Heard through the local grapevine in Sturgeon Bay that more than half of the fish and closer to 75% were dead. Not a very good example of using the resource wisely. Anyone have any info on this? The truth please.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:22 PM
Keeper

I was in that tourney and from what I saw at the weigh-in, there was plenty of lively fish jumping around. Also, I had a great time this weekend except the ruptured spleen, bruised liver, cracked ribs, concussion, hip displasia, etc. But, the Ranger held up in those waves. Hey Gary and Marge, I am really leaning closer to the Glyde Rydes. Also, great idea on the snap weights burping, although I had to use my own snap weights with the alligator clips. The off shores kept coming off on the those big pigs. Good Luck at Petenwell.

Old 08-12-2002, 02:23 PM
Keeper

P.S. If Larry is there, give him a hug for me. LOL
Old 08-12-2002, 03:30 PM
Minnow

I participated at the tournament and placed 6th. Lynn did you happen to notice the waves that day? The forecast did not predict waves the 4 and 5 foot waves - they said 1 -3!!! I checked on NOAA that morning before take off. Fish don't like that kind of beating. I don't know how many fish died by the waves were bad. Most people did bring in live fish but they did NOT have the problem I did. MWS does a great job to keep the fish alive at the weigh in. I believe the dead fish do not go to waste but to local food pantrys.

We had 3 dead fish. Believe me, we didn't want dead fish. Weight is deducted from your weight for each dead fish. We lost .3 lbs for those fish. We lost some money because of that. Further, we are all stewarts of the land and water and we need to protect our resources as I am sure Aldo Leopold would agree. I hurts me personally to kill something so beautiful.

BUT the reason we had 3 of 4 dead fish is my 18 foot Crestliner's steering councils broke away on the way back. It sheared my fuses off all of my electrical system. I had no electical anywhere in the boat. My partner Craig was off his suspension seat on the floor trying to hold up the council so we did not lose steering. No electical - no recirculation or O2. 4-5 foot waves. I could not slow down or I would take wave over the bow (Remember no electical to run the bilge) or speed up and I would loose my boat and possibly my life. I had to run the speed I did, no more, no less. I could not stop to refill and recirc the livewell with fresh water as I normally would. Me or the fish. I am happy to say I chose me and my partner, Craig. My wife and children are glad I chose me too. So Lynn go hug a fish, I will hug my family!

Thank you to the Pelkey's for leading us in. I don't know if we would have made it back if it had not been for the them breaking the waves in front of us. Good advertisement for Ranger..
Old 08-12-2002, 05:38 PM
Doreen Williams

Default RE: Congratulations Brian Bliske and Lynn Niklasch MWS winners

Congratulations Brian & Lynn, Steve & Todd, Mark & Jason. Good Job!!

I couldn't make the tournament, can anyone tell me how many fish were caught? What was the big walleye of the tournament?

Keep up the Good Job Guys,

Doreen
Old 08-12-2002, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Doreen

108 walleyes were caught for a total weight of 661.13# and the big fish was 9.84#. There were several fish taken over 9#
Old 08-12-2002, 08:08 PM
Doreen

Thanks Jim!!

Old 08-12-2002, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Peter

Thanks for the positive comments about MWS and yes all the fish that cannot be released are fillet and given to either nursing homes or to a food pantry.

I to would like to thank the Pelkeys for helping you return safely. Its great to see how willing teams are to assist others when help is required. We had a couple other teams that went to the add of teams with boat problems. I don't want to say names because I might leave someone out. I will just say THANK YOU to all the teams that went out of the way to help fellow anglers.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:51 AM

Again a well run tournament, but brutal on the body and equipment. The winners Brian & Lynn said trolling cranks and jigging Zip lures. I talked to Brian whom said he used Zip lures to win the winnebago tourney as well. Meet a lot of good fisherman that shared there tactics w\ me and my daughter -- Thanks !!!!!