Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
whats the secret to ducer placement?! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Wallhanger

Default whats the secret to ducer placement?!

I have a hbird 998... I have been fooling with the ducer placement for some time now. it seems alomst impossible to get it in a spot where you get a good signal, no spray, and it will stay down in the locked position. I have a goood signal and no spray now but it pops up into the unlocked position just drving around not even in rough water.....pita....any tips, tricks, ect?

thanks in advance!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Slot Fish

Worse....the problem of two tranducers compounds the problem. Today I discovered that the static/snow that appeared as visible noise on side-scanning via the LSS2 was created by the skimmer transducer.

Asked Lowrance reps what the minimum horizontal distance must be to eliminate the visible noise. Their first suggestion was to change the contrast level. ???

Asked again and will probably be next week for another alternative. I don't want to change contrast. Visible noise makes it much more difficult to differentiate noise pixels from fish in sidescan because fish reflections/images are so small to begin with.

I plan to make a temp mounting bracket from angle metal and use a C-clamp to test different locations at slow speeds next time I go out. Guessing i might have to move the skimmer transducer to the opposite side of the stern.
-----------------
With my previous bird transducer, never had a problem like you described, though I've forever given up on the notion of high-speed depth readings. Will be interesting to read replies that follow.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Wallhanger

Default To the O.P. :

I think the mounting bracket can be squeezed shut a little so the ducer won't pop up as easily. My boat's still in storage, so I'm just going by the memory of what it looks like.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Wallhanger

Your going to get spray off of the transducer I have mine mounted on a transducer board and I screwed a piece of plastic to the top edge of the ducer board to knock the spray down. They do make a piece of plastic from Hbird that will mount in the opening of the mounting bracket that cuts the spray down.. These SI transducers are huge and need to squeeze the bracket to tighten it up some. I know some guys have put a washer there some place to tighten it up but right off hand I can`t remember and it still let the ducer kick up if it needed to.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

Take black electrical tape and close off the l_l in the mount..

My starting point is always this:

The horizontal seam in the ducer should be nearly flush with the bottom surface of the boat on the lowest side of the deadrise..

The horizontal seam in the transducer should be in a plane with the bottom of the boat, or very slightly up from a plane in the back..

adjust from there accordingly..

Ive had SI since 08, and have never had to "pinch" a mounting bracket. Power pins, yes,

That doesnt mean that it doesnt have to be done with yours though..

Can you take the heel of your hand, and push against the front part of the transducer that is below the boat, and make it release? Do not test by "lifting" up on the tail end..

Pictures?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 AM
Wallhanger

Here is a pic that I have posted before that hopefully helps you a bit. This combo of things has spray deflected and readings of bottom at 45+mph. The boat is a Alumacraft 185 Dominator.
Hopefully you find your spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trans measure.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	28305  
Old 04-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Keeper

Here is my placement on a lund impact. good high speed readings although i still have spray - haven't attempted to fix that yet!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0981.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	28321  
Old 04-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Wallhanger

Here's where mine is. Reads bottom up to about 50. Other pic is showing where I put a small film of silicone to keep spray coming through hole in mounting bracket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	28337   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	485.6 KB
ID:	28345  
HB Helix 12/SI & 1198SI
101# Terrova w/IPilot
2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins
Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Wallhanger

Default op here

hey guys thanks for the input... maybe i have mine wrong

I have mine mounted so that the seam of the ducer in in line w the bottom of the hull but on the high side of the hull... Should i lower it so the other side of the ducer is inline w the hull? right now most of my ducer is behind the trasom...if i mount it the way you guys have the spray will be insane and it popps up now as is, lower it more and holy cow!

here is a pic of mine...if i go any lower i get spray and even the way its mouted here will pop up/unlock
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps234cc386.jpg

Last edited by teamlund; 04-13-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Wallhanger

Here's one from the side. 95% of my spray problem went away when I plugged the hole in the middle. It was getting probably most of my motor cowling and steering bracket soaked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	28353  
HB Helix 12/SI & 1198SI
101# Terrova w/IPilot
2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins