Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
carpet seams/joints showing? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Fred e

Default carpet seams/joints showing?

i just had some carpet installed in my living room which is 25x15 and there were 3 areas that they had to join carpet together and the joints are quite noticeable, is this normal. the installer said it would go away in about a month. i dont want to pay until i know if there will be a problem or not. i have never seen noticeable lines in carpet like that before. the original work in the rest of the house is of good quality and this carpet stands out in my opinion thanks.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Default RE: carpet seams/joints showing?

Carpet seams are dependent on two things:
1. The type carpet
2. The ability of the installer.

If you have a carpet with a very very low nap, or if you have a carpet with absolutely uniform texture and color - the seams will be more difficult to hide.

If you have an installer, who didn't give enough allowance in the seam area, you will have seams that really "pop".

When he suggests that the seams will disappear in a month or so, he is inferring that the carpet nap will tend to squish and squash and sag over the carpet seam area. That will be true if the nap is reasonably long. However, if the nap is short and or if the color is very uniform - it is less likely to cover the nap.

--
I might suggest that you have the store manager - from which you purchased the carpet - come to your house and check the installation.

In general, if the seams are going to disappear, they will disappear within the first two good vacuum of the carpet. The vacuum will suck up the nap in about the way that it will be for the life of the carpet. Also, every time that you vacuum the carpet, you are going to restore it to that same state. So, if you vacuum, and the seams show - that is likely to be the way that the carpet will be for its service life.

Take care
REW
Old 02-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

The seams are done with a glue strip that is paced under the carpet. IT is then heated and the glue melts and the two parts are pushed together and down into the area.
If you do not see a noticable gap between the two sections, then the seam will become less noticable (providing the isntaller did not seam the two parts with the naps in opposite directions)as the rigidity of the glue strip lessens. It is a bit stiff at first but wears soft in a few days.
The carpet quality plays the biggest role in the hiding of the seams. Those with tighter weaves and more weight seam effortlessly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Minnow

You said the room is 25 X 15. Carpet now comes in 15 ft. widths. Why did he have to seam it?
Old 02-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Birddog

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

>You said the room is 25 X 15. Carpet now comes in 15 ft.
>widths. Why did he have to seam it?

Dang...when I was a kid doing vinyl and carpet it was all 12 ft. Hated the builders who liked 12'6" rooms.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Tom PP

I had the same problem, The carpet place sent out a guy that checks out carpet for all the carpet companies. He pulled out a special scissors and did his magic trimming the different levels of carpet fibers. Not perfect, but acceptable. 70% better. A seam is a seam.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Slot Fish

Iv'e been in the flooring installation buissness for 25 years. Some carpets ,no matter what your skill level just don't hid seams well, and all carpets don't come 15ft. Saying the seams will look better in a month is usually just a way to get out the door.Iv'e had some customers complain about a seam that actually is almost invisable. So it's kinda hard without actually seeing the seam what the problem is. A manufacturing defect can be shading, one side of the carpet is a little darker than the other. The seam could be "peaked" which can be from the seam iron being to hot and melting the backing.The seam may be missing some carpet tuffs or rows when it was cut.Berbers do tend to show seams as do very tight plush carpets. The twists show the least. Good luck
Old 10-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Deli

Default Seams

I have these huge seams around a few spindles that separate the dining and the living room. The carpet is a medium plush carpet but very tight and uniform in color. They didn't glue the seams together and I think they didn't cut straight. Do I ask them to redo it or it is too much to ask?