Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Was at the dealership talking engines yesterday... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Keeper

Default Was at the dealership talking engines yesterday...

and what they said sort of surprised me. They sell mercury, evinrude, Yamaha, and Suzuki engines. While looking at my next boat while I was getting some service done on my current boat (non-engine related BTW), I started talking engines with the sales guy.

What really surprised me was how hard they were pushing Suzuki engines. I was told that out of about 1100 sold in the past 5-6 years, they have had 13 warranty issues come up. They also told me that they really don't recommend the e-tec because of all the warrant issues they have had with them. I have an e-tec and love mine and was thinking of going up from a 40 to a 150 on my next boat. They told me that they have had problems with the e-tecs in the 60-115 HP range but haven't had many problems with anything over 115. Of course, the sales guy told me that they have only sold one 150 in the past 5 years. That really surprised me.

The sales guys were recommending suzuki first, yamaha's second. the mercury optimax was their first choice if you wished to stick with a 2 stroke. I was told that the optimax has hardly had any warranty problems in their experience. They did say to stay far away from the 4 stroke mercs though as they have many warranty issues with them.

Not trying to start a war or anything but what do you guys think? I know Suzuki makes smaller engines but I have been starting to see them pop up on boats from time to time. Are they as good as these guys are saying?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Not trying to start a war or anything but what do you guys think?
I think the dealer probably makes more money on Suzukis than Yamahas.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

X2 on the Suzuki recommendation.
Many Suzuki's of all sizes in our areas, with next to 0 issues by any of the owners.
Also, if you look at the Suzuki's for the last few years, this manufacturer continues to be on the cutting edge of technology and manufacturing. They simply do a quality job in manufacturing a very well designed motor.

Good luck
REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Wallhanger

My guess is that the dealership in NOT in a saltwater area
Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
My guess is that the dealership in NOT in a saltwater area
Nope, N WI.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Lund Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt100 View Post
They also told me that they really don't recommend the e-tec because of all the warrant issues they have had with them. I have an e-tec and love mine and was thinking of going up from a 40 to a 150 on my next boat. They told me that they have had problems with the e-tecs in the 60-115 HP range but haven't had many problems with anything over 115.
Very common. My local dealers tell me they make most of their money on Etec warranty work alone. They love them. It's their bread and butter.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

Talked to three dealerships, yesterday. All sell Evinrude and competing brands. All were complementary toward other manufactures, but totally enthusiastic about the ETECs. All three have Evinrudes mounted on their personal boat(s).
Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Wallhanger

His job is sales. He is paid commission. It is his job to lead you to the best product that will make both you and he happy. Just like anyone else, he has his own preferences, just like we all do here. You are smart for taking it all with a grain of salt....

Suzuki is fantastic. But it also says something if they have only sold a single 150hp E-tec.

As you have seen here and on the E-tec owners group, issues are very rare with the E-tec as they are with all of the outboard manufacturers. The biggest issues arise from owner neglect, stupidity, and poor dealer support.

The Suzuki is a fantastic outboard, but that salesman is also talking out his a$$ about the E-tec. Personally I would question his credibility....
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Wallhanger

pulls up chair

Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Wallhanger

Im from Eagle River, which dealer was spreading this Non sense???? Was it the Rhinelander guy? I can clear any confusion and have NO dog in this fight.....Brannon 847-450-4011