Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
No-Ethanol Gasoline in Wisconsin - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

Default RE: No-Ethanol Gasoline in Wisconsin

There is a difference between fuel for "alternative fuel" vehicles and gasoline with ethanol. I've owned both Mercury and Yamaha outboards and both owners manuals say that you CAN use fuels containing ethanol, but not to exceed 10%. So the 15% ethanol blends used in "alternative fuel vehicles" can't be used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

About 15 years ago, I switched all of my gas burning to Ethanol only in my rigs. I have never looked back.
A couple of points.

1. With the 10-15% ethanol in the gas, it will absorb small amounts of water that might get into the fuel and allow the engine to burn it with no problem.

2. with the Ethanol in the gas, the fuel tends to clean the engine better and leave fewer deposits in the engine.

3. With Ethanol in the gas, the fuel system tends to gum up less and the alchol tends to keep the lines and passages cleaner.

4. With Ethanol in the gas, you will have slightly poorer fuel economy, due to the fact that Ethanol allows the motor to make more power but at the expense of burning more fuel.

5. With Ethanol in the gas, the engine runs cleaner and emits fewer pollutants into the atmosphere and lake.

6. Finally, Ethanol at least for now is the available fuel, so we may as well as get used to its advantages and disadvantages and not hamstring ourselves with long and expensive searches to find alternate fuel sources.

Summary -
Ethanol in the fuel - mainly has advantages with only a few downside conditions. It is the fuel that is largely available and tends to keep everyone happier if we use it.

Take care
REW
Old 05-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Wallhanger

I couldnt agree more REW. Good post.

Ryan

2004 Lund 1775 ProV Tiller w/ 75hp Yamaha EFI / VTS / TITAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Keeper

I won't dispute what you all are saying about the use of 10% ethanol, but I have to ask; Why does my Merc owner's manual reccommend to NOT use ethanol, even though they say it can be used?
It's an '03 60 hsp 4 stk EFI.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

they may be referring to E85.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Wallhanger

Ethanol makes small engines burn hotter. I don't like to use it any of my small engines. Perhaps in a 4 stroke outboard it isn't an issue.

Here's a place with no ethanol gas
Casey's General Store
DeForest, Cty Hwy V on the north side of town
Old 05-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

why does ethanol make small engines run hotter?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Wallhanger

I don't know, I just know that from reading on the web and reading my owner's manual that ethanol is not recommended for small engines. All of my manual's (push mowers, outboards, riding mowers, snow blower, rototiller) recommend NOT to use ethanol. The reasons given are that it makes the engine burn hotter and that the alcohol wears out rubber seals. Can't tell you why, just can tell you what the manuals say.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

For the last 15 years, I have been burning only ethanol based premium fuels in all of my small engines for the very reason posted above.
The engines run great, stay clean and have thus far been long lived.

Take care
REW
Old 05-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I can't come up with any reason that ethanol %10 fuel would run any hotter. If anything it should run cooler because of the higher octane rating. In fact in my younger years I raced motocross and only ran 100 octane Avgas in my bikes. They ran so much cleaner and cooler. If you pulled a piston out in a 125cc bike that was running pump gas, after just an hour or two of running it would have a layer of carbon on it. You could run 100 octane avgas for as long as you liked and it would look like a brand new piston when you pulled it. Expensive though. No pinging, or detenation ever.