Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleyes do exist in Colorado - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 07-24-2000, 08:37 AM
Wallhanger

Default Walleyes do exist in Colorado

Contrary to popular belief by many frequenters to Wyoming, walleyes can be caught in Colorado. Lots of them in fact were caught at Pueblo even by me for once.

Jig, rig or troll spinners on any of the flats that exist at Pueblo and you will pick up some eyes. If the wind is blowing you can pick them up under blue skies or it is probably a morning or evening bite. We had really good luck Saturday morning when it was overcast and drizzly. The pleasure boaters and jet skiers make it difficult to stay mellow, but even that crap is worth it to catch walleyes.

I will be heading to Lone Tree maybe this weekend to enjoy some "no wake" fishing. Any one have any tips for someone who has never even seen the reservoir before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2000, 09:06 AM
Art/Co

Default RE: Walleyes do exist in Colorado

Eric,

Nice to hear you guys caught some fish. What was the winning weights for the two day tourney? Or rather Sat and then Sun.

Thanks, Art

Old 07-24-2000, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

11.3 lbs won it for Saturday by Bob and Steve Katz.

My partner (Mark Slayton) and I weighed 4.3 lbs on Saturday and got 17th on Saturday. We skunked on Sunday.

I did not stay for all the weigh in on Sunday, but talked to Bob and Steve on Sunday and they had 2 in the livewell with an hour to go. The fishing was a lot tuffer on Sunday with the extreme heat and bright sunlight.
Old 07-25-2000, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Hey Eric just got back from Kentucky, but won't be returning to the office till tommorrow. Sounds like keepers were still hard to come by?

I caught my eye's along the rock jetty at the NW corner of Lonetree. There is a nice weed flat that dropped off right at the jetty. That was before the water got so warm, now I would guess most are suspended out over the deeper water under the shad.
Old 07-25-2000, 09:58 AM
Wallhanger

The keepers are always tuff to come by for me!

How do I get to Lone Tree from I-25?

Do they have wipers in there?
Old 07-25-2000, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Take the Hw 66 exit and go west to longmont. Turn right on 287 and drive north to Hw 14 west. Go west to road 21 and go south till you hit Lonetree.

It has lots of wipers and walleyes, and good Largemouth fishing. It is loaded with forage and that makes it tough fishing. It is a really pretty lake.
Old 07-25-2000, 04:22 PM
Fish Hunter

Art,

My buddy and I won the second day of the tourney with 8.34lbs and four fish. The walleye fishing at Pueblo is as good as I have seen it in 4 or 5 years. We caught alot of fish both days and several keepers each day. That has been a rare thing in the past few years down there. I hope that the division makes the limit change before all the nice fish are caught and cooked. The CWA did a fine job with this tourney and the weather was great and the fishing was even better.

Good Luck
Fish Hunter
Old 07-26-2000, 06:17 AM
Minnow

Fishhunter and Eric,

Glad to hear you you both were able to weigh in some fish. Sounds like the size is picking up. I've been going down to either Sanchez or Trinidad to avoid the crowds...as for weekdays here at Pueblo every afternoon looks like there will be a monsoon of rainfall. Thanks for the feedback.

Art

Old 07-26-2000, 08:00 AM
Slot Fish

Default Trinidad 'eyes

Have you been down to Trinidad since the last posts re: 2lb perch? I am taking the family down this weekend camping at Trinidad and would definitely like to catch some 'eyes and perch. How has it been? I'll report back next Tuesday when I return.
Old 07-26-2000, 11:23 AM
ART/Co

Default RE: Trinidad 'eyes

I have not been down to trinidad since the 16th.I hope conditions have not changed that much. Good luck.

Art