Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Big Tiller handle install - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Slot Fish

Default Big Tiller handle install

My 2013 60hp 4S currently has the standard tiller handle. Would like to have it converted to a Big Tiller handle.

First quote I've been told so far was $1500+ taxes, still waiting on few more emails back.

Question I have is what is involved in the installation? Is it something that could be tackled by someone with a mechanical background at home in the garage?

I've found handles online anywhere from $700 to $1000.

Part number is 879291A05 is I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I think if you're mechanically inclined, you could do the handle installation. You'll also need the 897978K04 throttle & shift cable kit, which is about $50.

HRG
Old 06-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Slot Fish

So the trim and rpm controls are just plug and play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

why don't you contact Mercury tomorrow, and ask them to send you a pdf copy of the installation manual?

HRG
Old 06-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Slot Fish

Thinking that's what I'll do. Didn't realize that they would do that, until I came across an old thread on another forum. Mercury emailed the installation instructions to someone asking the same thing.

Thanks

........can't stand the normal handle any more
Old 06-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Guest2340

Merc's big tiller design is by far the best tiller on the market, even without the assist.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest2340 View Post
Merc's big tiller design is by far the best tiller on the market, even without the assist.
"by far"... Wow! That's a pretty strong statement. What do you base that statement on? What can the Merc Big Tiller do that other (big motor) tillers don't.

I've never used a Merc tiller - so I don't know. In fact, my Yamaha tiller handle is the only one I have used. But it seems to do everything I need it to do (F/N/R, fast/slow, tilt/trim, RPM adjustment, start, on/off). I must be missing something.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Guest2340

Did you just come over from the Hull Truth? You Yamaha guys sure do get bent easy. I'm an Evinrude guy, can't adjust the rpm but has everything else. Merc developed the best tiller to date. Run one and you would understand. Merc is the only company that has a tiller for big motors.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Slot Fish

Anybody know what the differences are in between the 60hp and non p/s 90hp handle? I see the part # is different but wondering if it's the mounting area or electrical connections that are different.

Found a handle locally, curious what the deciding difference is here.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris165 View Post
Anybody know what the differences are in between the 60hp and non p/s 90hp handle? I see the part # is different but wondering if it's the mounting area or electrical connections that are different.

Found a handle locally, curious what the deciding difference is here.

Thanks
I can tell you for sure that the back 1/2 of the bracket (that attaches to the motor) is different. I have a BT handle on my current 60 4S, and the back 1/2 bracket off my 75, from when I converted it to the Titan steering system.

HRG