Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sept 9-15 Lake Sharpe/Oahe Report - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 09-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Keeper

Default Sept 9-15 Lake Sharpe/Oahe Report

A good northern blew in on the 15th but it didn't slow fishing down. Just slowed some fishermen down as temps dropped and rain fell on Thursday but all of the rest of September has been great weather and great fishing. Might be a tougher weather week end though. I fished four retired firemen from Omaha for Spring Creek Marina to easy limits (24) of 18 inch avg. walleye after there rental boat broke then fished the Heeb's from around the Midland area and 4 of their grandchildren to another limit (24) of 18 inch avg walleye. Caught over 75 fish. What a great trip for those Kids not to mention the two grandparents. A real treat for me to..After that I fished Terry and Barb Hall a retired couple from California to their take home limit's of an 18 inch avg size walleye to take back West with them. All of these groups had constant action from the time we hit the water until we left catching and releasing at least 50 fish a day and being very selective keeping only fish over 17 inches. Did that again Thursday in the light rain with Walt Nelson and friend from NE with the same results. Limits of fish all over 17 inches or bigger. So far I have been able to avoid the big groups of boats traveling down river enough to leave the crowds behind. Just fishing around a few other guide boats and local people who are willing to travel a little. If you don't know the river be prepared for boats as good news travel fast. Week ends can be crowded and community fishing common. The fishing on Sharpe is just that good. Show's you what can happen if a fishery is in effect closed all summer.(Sharpe was closed due to flooding in Pierre area) Sharpe is always a great fall fishery but this year is exceptional. Caught almost all of these fish in 10 fow or less on spinner/crawler rigs but pulling plugs, casting jigs , drifting with lindy rigs are all working. I am also hearing about occasional Salmon being caught by accident while fishing for walleye on Sharpe indicating they along with bait have come thru the tubes. A cause for worry many of us have, but I haven't heard of any official word on the long term effect of the high water releases this summer. Take your time on Sharpe as new sand bars everywhere. Oahe continues to be excellent fishing from the dam all the way to the 212 bridge with limits of walleye some northern and some smallmouth bass coming in. Most walleye on Oahe coming from 20 to 30 fow but staying shallow can produce bigger fish although not as many numbers. Still a lot of these big guys in the trees or suspending and harder to catch. A lot less boat traffic so if that is the experience you are looking for the big lake is a good pick if weather is right . Where ever you go if fishing with crawlers bring a lot.

Hutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement