Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Minnow

Default Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need your help; I have recently moved to Stockton MO to target Walleyes, I have fished Stockton Lake off and on for twenty years and I’m familiar with most of the structure. Stockton Lake is 24,900 acres with a depth exceeding 100 feet and water clearly frequently down to 20 feet. Just like most fisherman, I have caught a few Walleyes fishing for other types of fish. Just after the lake was built in the 1970s the MDC established a stocking program with a number of fish, including Tiger Muskies, Northern Pike and Walleye. The Northern pike and Tiger Muskies did not survive, but the walleye seamed to establish. Therefore, the MDC continued to stock the lake at a rate of 470.000 fingerlings every two years, accordance with the MDC the mature walleyes spawn each year up both creeks arms and at the dam. I have personally talked to the MDC and the Stockton lake biologist, they expressed the Walleye hatch and survival rate is high. I have fished from the creeks to the dam, from 10 to 70 foot of water. I’ve used night crawlers w/ lindy rigs, jigs, bottom bouncers w/ spinners, minnows of all sizes, leeches, crank baits, trolling spoons and etc. Year after year I have caught a lot of Walleye, but each year the Walleyes are the same size, around 15 to 16 inches. In the past, I have caught large Walleyes up north and fished the FLW on Cass Lake and Bemidji Lake and each year spent 3 mo. on Leech Lake. OK, someone help me with this, The Walleyes are normally larger down south. WHERE ARE THE 5 TO 10 POUNDERS, WHICH ARE FOUND IN THE OTHER LAKES AROUND THE OZARKS, DON’T THE WALLEYES GROW LARGER THAN 16 INCHES IN STOCKTON LAKE, OR IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Does your DNR take net samples? I would think they would have a record of the growth rate that would be available to the public. What about other fisherman? Anybody else getting any size or is everybody facing the same problem?

Be interesting to see what you find out.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Keeper

Default walleye size

I'm not sure if this will help but the spawning age of a walleye (males) 3 to 4 years old which would make them 16 to 18 inches long (females) at about 5 years which would make them 20 to 24 inches, males rarely reach a size larger than 6 to 7 lbs all the larger fish you would catch would be females. So it could be a disproportion of males to females. As we know fish (walleye) group together in like sizes or close to the same size or year class. There should be if stocked in the 70s many large female year classes as well as larger males unless there was a calamity that killed many of the producing females it doesn't seem likely since you say the population is healthy. Or maybe you have not yet located their hangouts. I hope that someone who fishes that body of water can give you more insight. When you are fishing there ask other fishermen if their catching the bigger walleyes or the local bait shop or tackle store. Good luck hope you work it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Wallhanger

Where I fish on the Mississippi about 90% of my big Walleyes over 25 inches has come in 4 feet of water or less. It may be very well that your not targeting the right depths to connect with the bigger fish.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Wallhanger

where I live there are thousands of different lakes and it is amazing how a lake that is literally just over the next hill from another one can have a totally different type of fish in it. I fish one lake for trophies, and another one a mile away for eaters. It just has to do with the geological make up of the lake as well as the genetics of the fish along with the forage base.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.lakestockton.com/list.php?34

my buddies over here might be able to help you answer your question better.

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 10-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Keeper

Default larger walleye

It seems from the information I can find that stockton lake's walleye population may be sustained by stocking which started in 1998 this would explain the smaller size and the greater number of smaller size walleye. And through natural attrition the 750,000 every other year stocked fingerlings only attaining a 15 to 16" size. The 5 lb and over size fish would be a very small population and on a lake that large a little harder to find. Here are some phone #s to call to get a little more information Stockton area chamber of commerce 417-276-5213, Bob at stockton lake guide service 417-234-8988. Give them a try.

Last edited by fishing life; 10-14-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Minnow

I fish Stockton quite a bit Terp, and have had results similar to yours. Its a great numbers lake, not many lunkers caught there(by me anyway). I hear of a few big ones caught each year, and a buddy pointed out that those are often caught on accident by a bass fisherman casting a bit shallower than we generally target walleye at. It may take time and patience to find the big ones that are most certainly in there. The website that Juls offered has become more of a motorcycle riding site than fishing. I'd try www.mo-walleye.com or www.ozarkanglers.com

BTW I usually put in at Hartley blue/gold/white Ranger Reata

Best of Luck

H
Old 10-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Keeper

I do not fish Stockton as I live on Tablerock. However I know a number of gentlemen who do fish there. Try this link: http://mwaa.proboards.com/index.cgi?