Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Any tips on catching the big ones - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 07-27-2002, 03:41 PM
fsiggy

Default Any tips on catching the big ones

I am heading to Lake Erie on 7/30/02, for 3 days fishing. I'm going with someone that has a large boat, and has fished this lake before. We are going just west of Port Clinton. I have never fished Erie. Any tips on how to fish, and what to use would be greatly appreciated. How deep have they been biting. What is the best time. I am a novice walleye fisherman, have only fished for Walleye 3 times, all on trips to Lake Kabetogama in Minnesota. Would I fish the erie Walleye the same. Minnows and slip sinker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2002, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Default RE: Any tips on catching the big ones

If the answer isn't here the question isn't worth asking.

http://www.cliftond.com/index.html

Bill W. (War-N-Peace-ch 68)

Old 07-28-2002, 10:22 AM
Wallhanger

Bill, you hit the nail right on the head, but you beat me to the punch. Your right, if Dean doesn't have it on his web, it don't need to be there!

Johnp034
Old 07-29-2002, 08:09 AM
Wallhanger

Fsiggy,
Good info on Dean's www.cliftond.com website mentioned in the other posts for the area west of Port Clinton. Sounds as you will be drifting/casting. You'll want to pick up some "Flipping Harnesses" aka "Weapons" - sold in most all the western erie tackle shops. If you are familiar with the weight forward spinners - ie Erie Dearies, the lures I mentioned are basically the weight/body from a weight forward spinner with a 12-18 inch worm harness that is most commonly used Fishing "the swing" by drift fishermen - cast out ahead of the drift, count down the lure to the depth you are trying to reach - then start retrieving the lure. You'll get most of your hits as the drift catches up to the lure and it starts to "swing" with the drift. The depth you catch fish at will likely change from day to day and even hour to hour - but don't be afraid to try the top 10 feet of the water column.

The majority of the "big" walleye are farther East thatn where you will be fishing this time of year but there are always a few "big" fish taken in all parts of the lake at all times of the year so good luck.

Good Luck,
Steve