Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Navionics North - LOTW? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Wallhanger

Default Navionics North - LOTW?

I'm looking at upgrading my electronics.

Can anyone tell me if Witch Bay, LOTW - would be on the Navionics "North" - or will I need to buy the Canada chip also?

(LOTW is listed on the Navionics "North" chip.)

Thank ya!

Ryan

2004 Lund 1775 ProV Tiller w/ 75hp Yamaha EFI / VTS / TITAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Slot Fish

Bullhead,
Witch Bay is on the LOW North chip.
That said, I had the opportunity to use the new Lakemaster LOW/Rainy Lake Chip on Rainy this summer.
I used the new Lakemaster chip on the dash and the older Navionics chip on the bow.
The new Lakemaster Chip IMHO was much better in detail and definition.

For what it's worth,
walleyejohn
Old 08-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Wallhanger

Appreciate the insight John. I did take a look at the Lakemaster chips - and it seems they dont have much available for my home area (South Dakota). I'm hoping the Navionics North will cover me here at home - and as far north as Witch Bay, LOTW.

Ryan

2004 Lund 1775 ProV Tiller w/ 75hp Yamaha EFI / VTS / TITAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 PM
bgilmore

I have the Navonics North 2007. Just got back from that area. It worked great. Great definition, but from Moore Bay south though Andrew Bay and the Barrier Islands the accuracy was dissappointing. At times I was 60 feet off.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

Default WBC Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyejohn View Post
Bullhead,
Witch Bay is on the LOW North chip.
That said, I had the opportunity to use the new Lakemaster LOW/Rainy Lake Chip on Rainy this summer.
I used the new Lakemaster chip on the dash and the older Navionics chip on the bow.
The new Lakemaster Chip IMHO was much better in detail and definition.

For what it's worth,
walleyejohn

I fish that Witch Bay, Andrew Bay, Barrier Islands, and area all the way south to Yellow Girl and all the way west to the end of the NE Quadrant.

When you say the Lakemaster chip was better in detail, are you referring to that area also or just to the Rainy Lake area that you fished? Sorry, it isn't clear to me from your post.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Keeper

Bullhead, I posted a similar post a while back but didn't get much in the way of a solid answer... Myself, I have a place somewhat near to where you fish, but in the Sioux Narrows area (Long Bay). I borrowed an older Navionics chip to see how it would do and I was disappointed to find my boat driving over land in some spots (the chip was off considerably in some areas) while travelling out to Sunset Channel and Yellowgirl. I found this inaccuracy unacceptable for a lake full of reefs.

It would be really really REALLY great to find out if there's a Navionics map that is accurate for Lake of the Woods...!

Also, I know that Lakemaster hadn't charted the area in good detail, just the southern (US) portion of the lake. I believe now that they had done Sabaskong BUT I don't believe that they've come up as far as Whitefish Bay, Long Bay, Yellowgirl, Witch Bay, etc. I heard a RUMOUR that they were currently working on it, so someone please chime in here?

It would be really really REALLY great to find out if Lakemaster has done the above-noted portions of Lake of the Woods in "high definition"...!
Old 08-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
I fish that Witch Bay, Andrew Bay, Barrier Islands, and area all the way south to Yellow Girl and all the way west to the end of the NE Quadrant.

When you say the Lakemaster chip was better in detail, are you referring to that area also or just to the Rainy Lake area that you fished? Sorry, it isn't clear to me from your post.
2Labs,

Not to steal walleyejohn's thunder here but I fished with him on Rainy this summer. He has not fished LOTW with the new Lakemaster chip. On Rainy the Lakemaster chip was very accurate.

Like2Fish
Old 08-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2Fish View Post
2Labs,
Not to steal walleyejohn's thunder here but I fished with him on Rainy this summer. He has not fished LOTW with the new Lakemaster chip. On Rainy the Lakemaster chip was very accurate.
Like2Fish
Thanks for the feedback.

I have contacted Lakemaster as a result of this thread. They wrote back that they are in the process of completing the entire LOW area. They currently have 600,000 acres mapped, which is only 60% of the fishery. They have a schedule for completion of their work but that schedule is being continually modified due to weather and other issues (their words). They also assured me they are diligently working on getting that work completed. They know they have a hot sales item on their hands and want to get that product available as soon as they can.

They have a monthly news letter which I have now signed up for which they tell me talks about progress, products available, etc. It should keep me informed of their progress.

Sounds like I stick with my "Mapsource Garmin Fishing Hot Spots North America Version 4.0" vintage 2003 for a while. It ain't the best but it is pretty darn good.

But, at least Lakemaster is working on the project and help is coming.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Keeper

I have several Lakemaster & Navionic's chips for the Midwest , Great Lakes, Rivers and parts of Canada.

Lakemaster shines in MN,WI, MI & LOTW's with thier new software and high definition maps.

Navionic's too has areas but they cover the world and it takes time to fix older maps created and scanned earlier before this newer technology came about.

Like Lakemaster in the LOTW's they had to set up hovercrafts with map making technology to get in all the areas to quit destrying lower units.

I belive the Navionic's Map for LOTW's does not cover the Whole Area as well yet.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Minnow

Default LakeMaster Survey Information

The LakeMaster Woods/Rainy chip has 1 ft, high definition contours from the Big Narrows area counter- clockwise to Nestor Falls. We're working our way toward the area you're talking about but do not have it yet. Sorry. This chip also has the entire Rainy River and Rainy Lake in 1 ft., plus Kab/Nam/Sand Pt.&Crane in enhanced DNR.
Our Dakotas chip will be out any day, replacing the Devil's Lake chip (you can upgrade). In addition to DL, it will have a significant part of the Missouri system, most of the Glacial Lakes in NE SD, Big Stone and Traverse in HD, plust many more lakes in enhanced DNR format.
LOW is a big elephant, we're doing one bite at a time to get it right.