Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tick alert - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Wallhanger

Default Tick alert

I forgot to mention on my Wine Lake Camp report to be careful of ticks. We stopped on the 105 on the way up to relieve ourselves and everyone one of us had ticks crawling up our legs looking for a warm hairy place to hook into us (no one wants that, right?). On the way up when we stopped we went several steps into the brush and one guy had 7 ticks he removed. One guy has an iron bladder and he got none. I had three.

On the way back, we stopped on a pull of and two guys took one step into ankle high grass and both had ticks on them.

Careful out there folks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the heads up tick alert.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Slot Fish

Cool Ticked Off...

Ticks are a deadly foe, because of Lyme disease. Wet spring weather is the time of year that ticks are abundant in numbers. Try to avoid grassy and brush areas if you can. If you have to portage through those areas, apply a potent Deet spray on yourself. Even if you are wearing boots and long pants.

Deep Woods OFF spray does not have a great Deet percentage in its formula. The name is stronger than it's effectiveness. Find repellents with the greatest Deet percentage in it.

You don't want to find a tick, or ticks, in your personal grassy and brush areas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Wallhanger

Default Thanks Hooks

We can always count on Hooks and so many others here on WC. One year some veteran members of our group had the same problem. It is always something to remember that we are in a different environment up North. No one wants to have a trip ruined by things like ticks or other things that we will find in the great outdoors. Stay safe and fish hard!!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivratz View Post
Ticks are a deadly foe, because of Lyme disease. Wet spring weather is the time of year that ticks are abundant in numbers. Try to avoid grassy and brush areas if you can. If you have to portage through those areas, apply a potent Deet spray on yourself. Even if you are wearing boots and long pants.

Deep Woods OFF spray does not have a great Deet percentage in its formula. The name is stronger than it's effectiveness. Find repellents with the greatest Deet percentage in it.

You don't want to find a tick, or ticks, in your personal grassy and brush areas.
The strongest I've found is Repel Max with 40% deet. Anyone know of anything that is stronger?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Slot Fish

Cool Maxi Deet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalleyeWally28 View Post
The strongest I've found is Repel Max with 40% deet. Anyone know of anything that is stronger?
I have a Deet repellant called "Maxi Deet". Manufacturer is Sawyer Products. It is 95% Deet and 5% isomers. The label reads 100% Deet. I believe I found it at Dick's Sporting Goods?

If you can't find it, or something similar, their address is;
Sawyer Products, P.O. Box 188, Safety Harbor, FlL. 34695

Maybe you can google search the company to get their tel. #, or website address.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ben's 98% deet

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bens-...h-All+Products
Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 PM
Slot Fish

Gotta second that on Ben's. The little orange bottle does wonders! Your lips will be numb for hours too! That's when you know you have the good stuff
Old 06-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Keeper

Default deet

Visit your local army navy surplus store and buy the GI issue lotion. This works on all them critters 95% deet,basically the same as Sawers only cheaper.In 30 years its the best i've found and the cheapest . There are several tick and chigger formuals they sell in the the south that has perethaum[sp.] this is sprayed on your clothing and it works well .Maybe our reb brothers can provide us with the mfg.Ineed more and can not find any locally.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Wallhanger

Default "Ticks"

Good Day, HeHooksHimself is right on the money. We spent Memorial Day weekend camping and fishing some bush lakes in Northwest Ontario. We portaged through very thick bush to get there and the ticks we literally falling onto us in numbers I have never seen before. This is by far the worst tick season we have experienced. Have a great year.

Thank you,
Larry Mac