Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Solo trip suggestions? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-31-2017, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

I would highly recommend Young's Wilderness Camp on LOTW, just north of Nestor Falls. Certainly a remote setting and a variety of cabins to choose from, dog friendly, and fabulous Walleye and Pike fishing (catching). While they do also have a remote fly-in outpost on Kish Lake, that lake is predominantly smallmouth and muskie.
(http://www.youngswildernesscamp.com/)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 05:19 PM
Keeper

$15 a day for a campsite with shower facility... Might be a bit more now. Onaman River Resort on Lake Nipigon. There's about 40 back lakes to sneak into for something different but, having quick access to Lake Nipigon you'll have plenty playground for lakers, pike, walleye and brook trout.

This is a link to a trip there. Half the time was solo.

http://bunksoutdoorangle.com/a-solo-...in-impossible/
Old 02-01-2017, 05:18 PM
Slot Fish

Check out OSullivan Lake Outfitters near Nakina. They have a drive-in outpost, 1 cabin, on Stringer Lake. They offer a boat/motor on Stringer and stash boats 100 yards down a trail on Esnagami. Around $500 -v600US I believe including boat and motor for a week. A couple of years ago they gave me a fairly descent discount off the two-person rate since I was solo. I don't think it gets used much, and are likely to have a few weeks back to back. Plenty of elbow room since it is the only place on the lake.

People at the lodge on Esnagami are flown in and paying thousands, check out their site, but you can fish it as part of this deal with the stashed boats on it. You can fish the smaller Stringer Lake too which has Walleye, Northern, etc. If blowing stay small, if nice, head out and explore the islands in Esnagami. The lodge is on the far north end and you are unlikely to see them if you are hanging out on the south end near the portage.

About a 12 hour drive from Madison as an FYI
Old 02-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Go north

Default Solo trip

Thanks very much for the additional replies. 1k1moa-what can you tell me about the cabin on stringer? Plumbing, refrigeration, bug proof, etc? Did you spend much time on stringer or mostly esnagmai? Results? How was the outfitter to work with?
Are there motors on the esnagmai boats? Or, do you have to carry a motor in?

Thanks again everybody for your suggestions.....
Old 02-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Wallhanger

If you like O'Sullivan and have a boat, why not just head up there and find a nice island to camp on? Get your crown land camping permit from the MNR in Geraldton and away you go. I know a couple of people who have done that.
Not sure what O'Sullivan's Rainbow policy is, but I do know Howard Meshake at O'Sullivan Lake Outfitters has let people launch their boat and park their car at his place for a small fee.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go north View Post
Thanks very much for the additional replies. 1k1moa-what can you tell me about the cabin on stringer? Plumbing, refrigeration, bug proof, etc? Did you spend much time on stringer or mostly esnagmai? Results? How was the outfitter to work with?
Are there motors on the esnagmai boats? Or, do you have to carry a motor in?

Thanks again everybody for your suggestions.....
I didn't stay there, I did another option on that trip. If I recall is propane for appliances and you carried motor on portage. Can't speak to bug proof, I always carry a Sea to Summit bug net (big enough for two, works great in cabin or wild), just in case needed. It is only 8 ounces and very small.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Go north

Default Solo trip

Thanks for the suggestions and info. Mike, I had checked with osullivans golden rainbow about launching/parking previously and they aren't set up for it. I hadn't thought of checking with Howard. That said, it would be nice (but not absolutely necessary) to have a reasonable cabin or if camping, access to a shower etc. Any other thoughts? Is anyone familiar with the stringer lake cabin? thanks again for sharing your knowledge and ideas...greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:25 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go north View Post
I hadn't thought of checking with Howard. That said, it would be nice (but not absolutely necessary) to have a reasonable cabin or if camping, access to a shower etc. Any other thoughts? Is anyone familiar with the stringer lake cabin? thanks again for sharing your knowledge and ideas...greatly appreciated.
Howard owns the Stringer Lake outpost, he should be able to fill you in with all the details, how much it has been used, etc.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Minnow

Default Solo

I alternate between solo and one additional person (my wife or son). I am in the minority here I think, but I get so much contact throughout the year that bringing 8 beer-drinking bulls***ting buddies with me and the constant socializing actually is not a vacation for me.

I do only remote fly-ins. Here is the deal though: why would someone fly you into a cabin for 4-10 people when he can get all the $$$ from a full group?

1) Only if it is last minute and they can't fill it AND you are midway between point A and C, so that you essentially pay for the fuel for the other outposts.

2) You aren't a pain in the butt and experienced enough to be NO bother at all.

3) You pay as if you were 2 or more people.

If you do this, then there are a couple of principles I adhere to:

1) Watch EVERY step you take outside. You're alone and a fall could be bad news. That goes for using your axe/hatchet and any time you are near a stove. etc.

2) In the last few years I have rented a sat phone from https://www.mobal.com/ AND I always plan on spending the night in the woods when I go out in case I break down a long ways away and the wind prevents me from getting back. Bring an extra mosquito net in case you have a night in the woods. I also try fish where IF I have a breakdown, the prevailing wind will give me a fighting chance to get back to the cabin.

Did you know most people go their entire lives without ever really being alone for any period of time?! I mean REALLY alone like when a float plane drops you off and leaves you there for a week.

Oh,and by the way, I did get Hanta Virus as many of you know, so IF you are the first one in a rodent-infested cabin, take precautions.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Wallhanger

I've made a lot of solo trips. Never thought much about it, just did it.

They provided many interesting experiences and great fishing.