Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
9mm recommenations - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Wallhanger

If you are going to conceal carry I recommend the most compact 9mm that feels good to you and has a solid reputation for firing every time you pull the trigger. I know you didn't ask but I prefer a Smith & Wesson Airlite revolver in 38 Special +P. Hammerless so no snag on clothing when deployed, just pull the trigger. As close as 100 percent reliable as you can get. Only five shots but speed loaders are available and easy to use. Questions about handgun choices are so difficult to answer because it is such an individual thing. You can go to gun forums and they argue this non stop and you still come away without a sure winner. YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Wallhanger

SportDog is absolutely correct. I'd suggest going to a range that also sells guns so you can try several options out. I was amazed how much i changed. i went in a 38Special colt guy and came out a glock nut...

Women and Cats will do as they please.
Men and Dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert Heinlein

dis.ne.fi.ca.tion, (diz’ne fi ka shen) Amer, n, v.t., to disnefy; 1. genetic developmental disorder blocking completion of final growth stage of homo sapien.

Last edited by StuWest; 08-18-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Keeper

Sportdog & Stuwest, you guys make perfect sense, and one mans gun might not be ideal for the next man, He!!, like I tell my wife, let me buy a bunch and boost the economy dear and she says "Yeah, right......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed, try out as many as you can, if it don't feel right you won't carry it or if you can't shoot it consistently accurate the make & model means nothing.

Then practice as much as you can.
Then spend a few extra $ on some good PP ammo if you plan to carry.

For the 9mm I personally like the older federal personal defense hydra-shok JHP from many years ago. I use both the 115gr & 124gr
I know they came out with some newer rounds in the past few years, I have not tried any of them as I am sitting on a lifetime supply even after dumping a few 1000's rounds on armslist. One of the benefits of federal cartridge being so close with buddies working there over the years.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:20 PM
Keeper

I shot a few of them when I was shopping for a new carry gun. My Dad bought a Ruger LC9, after he got it home and shot it, neither of us liked it at all. He ended up trading it in on a S&W Shield after putting 2 box's of shell's through it, the shield is a much nicer gun, I have been considering buying one. I ended up with the Sig 938, I looked at quite a few guns and kept going back to the Sig, this is the nicest shooting compact that I have shot. I can easily carry it in my pocket. I have also been looking at the Springfield EMP, that is a sweet little gun as well.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Wallhanger

I have similar tastes to Matt's. Love my S&W Shield in 40 cal. Trigger is crisp and the gun is easy to shoot and accurate. Great CC gun.

For pocket carry the Sig P238 is perfect. One thing I love about the Sig is the tritium sights. Face it, your chances of having to use your weapon are likely to be at night. I dislike laser sights but really like the tritium sights on the Sig. This is a great purse gun for a woman as well.

Not a Glock fan but one of my best friends is. To each his own I guess.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Keeper

Springfield XDS in the summer months, Kimber Tactical Ultra in the cooler months. Practice often.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Keeper

Kahr PM9.
2014 Humminbird 859 ciHD DI
2014 Terrova 55 Link
Old 08-18-2015, 10:02 PM
Wallhanger

Bought a Taurus 709 slim first and while it was sent back to the factory to get it to work right I bought a S&W M&P 9 Shield. It had some feed issues too so picked up a Sig P938 which has been flawless plus I like the external hammer rather than a spring loaded pin.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber16 View Post
Agreed, try out as many as you can, if it don't feel right you won't carry it or if you can't shoot it consistently accurate the make & model means nothing.

Then practice as much as you can.
Then spend a few extra $ on some good PP ammo if you plan to carry.
+1 great advice

USMC 1967-1971 Once a Marine always a marine.