Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Savage Gear Line Thru swimbaits - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-16-2017, 07:12 AM
Minnow

Default Savage Gear Line Thru swimbaits

Hey guys,
I purchased some line thru baits by savage gear to try on our upcoming trip to Canada. We are going to mainly be focusing on pike and was wondering on the best way to rig these baits.

Those who have fished the baits, did you try and get a leader thru the bait or did you find it necessary? I am upgrading the hooks to a larger size treble and I'm thinking about adding a second treble down the belly but I don't want to affect the action. Any experience with this?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017, 06:41 PM
Wallhanger

There are a lot of videos on Youtube showing how to rig the Line Thru Trout. A lot of people replace the rig that it comes with because it gets kinked easily.

Mine are in the mail, so I don't have any actual experience with them yet. However, I plan on using them for pike so I will be using a steel leader. Probably the one they come with until it's no longer useful.

I've seen videos where Bass guys change the rig to mono, floro or braid. Also place the treble on top, instead of on the bottom. It's designed with that option.

Can't wait to try mine out!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:01 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by adempsey2.0 View Post
There are a lot of videos on Youtube showing how to rig the Line Thru Trout. A lot of people replace the rig that it comes with because it gets kinked easily.

Mine are in the mail, so I don't have any actual experience with them yet. However, I plan on using them for pike so I will be using a steel leader. Probably the one they come with until it's no longer useful.

I've seen videos where Bass guys change the rig to mono, floro or braid. Also place the treble on top, instead of on the bottom. It's designed with that option.

Can't wait to try mine out!
adempsy that is what has me confused. The baits I received do not have a leader with them. They have the treble hook stuck in their back with nothing on them. I'm just going to run 80 lb fluoro thru the tube to the treble and build a leader.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSlivin View Post
adempsy that is what has me confused. The baits I received do not have a leader with them. They have the treble hook stuck in their back with nothing on them. I'm just going to run 80 lb fluoro thru the tube to the treble and build a leader.
Ya, they come in two versions - rigged and unrigged. That sounds like the unrigged version. As long as the line can easily slip through the bait, I am sure you will be fine. Even if it doesn't it will still work, you'll just lose the "bait release" benefit.