Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Any coyote hunters on here? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 10-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Wallhanger

Default Any coyote hunters on here?

Time to learn something new, hunting coyotes. I know nothing about hunting them, but have recently done a massive amount of research on predator forums to try to gain enough knowledge to at least have a chance.
They really like the FoxPro E-callers. It seems that about 95% of them recommend that brand. Is there any other brand that would be of preference for some specific reason.
They do mention that some of the remotes on the FoxPro are very hard to read, and that us senior citizens would have to put reading glasses on when playing with it.
Any input would be of help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Wallhanger

Got this one opening evening this year. I'd say I'm more of an opertunist . Shot two in 5 minutes with my bow a few years back, but there again just the right opertunity . We have tried calling them in a couple times but never any luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	577.2 KB
ID:	54441  
Old 10-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

http://www.fieldandstream.com/answer...unting-coyotes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Keeper

Run them steady with hounds all winter long and if you want to enjoy a great hunt this is the way to do it. Check around your area and I am sure there are some guys who run them and will let you tag along. Not much on the calling end of it.

Just noticed your location and you should check out our web site to see our members in your area as there are lots. Check out http://www.kcshounds.com/forum/
Old 10-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Wallhanger

I never tried hunting them either but I probably should. I can hear them at night in the summer. Also I have lost 2 chickens in the past month, no clue what got them, could be fox, coyote, hawk? They went missing without a trace, no feathers on the ground as far as I could see. If I loose anymore I am going to have to fence them in, I'm down to 6 now I have them just for the eggs.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Wallhanger

Now you got me going. I found this free guide I just downloaded myself.
http://www.freecoyotehuntingguide.com/
Old 10-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Wallhanger

If it was spring don't overlook owls for nabbing chickens. I had one try and get one while I was standing 20 feet away in broad daylight. Also had a fox try and get one once too... couldn't shoot cause the wife was in the way!! lol Coyotes do get 'em too some times.

My hens free range, and unfortunately I loose one or two as a result. It's part of the game I guess. I'd rather have them picking bugs out of the garden and ticks out of the yard.

As far as yote hunting, treat their noses like a deer. Play the wind and camo up like turkey hunting. I have an electronic call, but still prefer my mouth calls until they freeze up.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty underpants View Post
If it was spring don't overlook owls for nabbing chickens. I had one try and get one while I was standing 20 feet away in broad daylight. Also had a fox try and get one once too... couldn't shoot cause the wife was in the way!! lol Coyotes do get 'em too some times.

My hens free range, and unfortunately I loose one or two as a result. It's part of the game I guess. I'd rather have them picking bugs out of the garden and ticks out of the yard.

As far as yote hunting, treat their noses like a deer. Play the wind and camo up like turkey hunting. I have an electronic call, but still prefer my mouth calls until they freeze up.
I considered mouth calls and now have several, but being an absolute rookie and an old guy, it is probably best to go with an E-caller. After seeing a black coyote with another greyish one on the ridge behind my house about 5 yrs. ago, I went out several times with a mouth call. No Luck on calling, and I was set up to shoot across a sand quarry at 200+ yds. with a 22-250. Earlier this year I saw a grey one in my yard on 3 different occasions. Too close, and they apparently killed an outside kitty and her kitten that stayed right around the house. I have also seen other ones back along that ridge. There are two fire companies in the area of this ridge, and when they sound the sirens there's quite a bit of howling. I've noticed this for 26 yrs., but never had a problem with them until now. Seems like no ones hunting or trapping them back there and it's time to try to thin them out, or scare the heck out of them!
Thanks for the input!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Keeper

I have never used an electronic call but hear they work good. I only use mouth calls. I have howlers and distress calls. The howlers take lots of practice and take time to learn but are extremely effective if you know what you are doing. The distress calls are easy to use and are very effective but it is a waiting game depending on the time of year and weather. I use two different rifles depending on conditions and time of year. First gun is a savage 270 with custom loaded nossler ballistic tip boat tales. This gun is for the really windy days when I need to be confident my bullet is gonna hit where I need it to hit with a 25-30 MPH cross wind or if I know I am going to probably be making a long shot. Example when it is deer hunting season and everyone and their neighbor is out tromping around looking for deer with a gun they only shoot once a year and haven't put it on paper and shoot at every coyote they see and give them an education by missing they get really shy when you try to call them in and you may have to take a longer shot 400-500 yards. Second gun AR-15 .223 55 grain nos ballistic tips. I buy these over the counter. This gun is the every day varmint gun for when they are hungry and they are in the area close to where you are calling and you know they are prob gonna come in fast and more then one like around your good neighbors sheep or cattle. If you want specific model info on that rifle let me know. Next CAMO you have to break up your silhouette and blend in to your surroundings. You need it all face cover, hat, jacket, pants, gloves. Remember coyotes have excellent sight and know their area if it doesn't seem right they will bolt. Next scent.....keep the wind in your face at all times they can smell ya coming a mile away I vacuum seel my clothing when not in use and rub lots of sage brush on them when I head out for a stand. Next walk in don't drive in very far. The farther you walk the better the chance. Or park on the other side of a hill so your vehicle is hidden from where you will be calling. Remember they have incredible hearing. They can hear a mouse scratching in the snow a 100 yards away and smell rotten meat for miles. Once you call one or two in you will be hooked. It gets your blood pumping. I also had them eating my kittens and cats. I have actually called them right up in the front yard and shot one from my front porch at about 50 yards once.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Wallhanger

I'd say go with the e-caller with a remote, but keep a mouth call or 2 in your pocket. I also have an attractor/diversion decoy. Battery operated and looks like a tail swishing or an animal moving. Placed near the speaker, it diverts the coyote's attention.