Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tying crawler harnesses - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 PM
Keeper

Default Tying crawler harnesses

I've been tying single hook rigs for leeches/minnows and 1/2crawlers and have the snell down. However i cant seem to get the double hook harness down. I always have issues with getting the second hook the distance i want from the 1st hook. Any tips or links to a good tutorial on getting the hook separation where I want it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 09:55 PM
Minnow

I personally find it easiest to tie the rear hook first then snell the front hook
Old 07-31-2014, 09:58 PM
Wallhanger

Yep, rear hook first then slide top hook down the line where you want it and loop back around and through. Done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 05:12 AM
Minnow

To get the distance right I use a piece of 2x4 if you want about 4 inches between the hooks. Just lightly stick the bottom hook into the bottom of the board and slide the top hook to where the bottom of the hook matches the top of the board. Hold it and tie and it should be about the same for every one that you tie. Obviously if you want more get a bigger board 2x6 or 2x8 or rip a board down for measurements in between.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlsECeDbUM
Old 08-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I measure using the width of my hand and/or fingers to help keep them consistent, and as others mentioned, snell the rear hook first, then the front hook. (Then beads and clevis, and last swivel or loop knot)
Old 08-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Keeper

Thanks all, I've been doing front hook first, I'll give it a go
Old 08-02-2014, 04:56 AM
Wallhanger

Smile

I tie the back hook 1st and made a 1 ft board with a 1/4 in dowel peg at one end. Then I measured 3" from the peg and drew a fish hook with a magic marker. Then did the same 4" from the peg. Tie the back hook then place the front hook on the line and tie it which ever length you want.
Have a great day.
JIM
Old 08-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Keeper

I took 2 leftover Off Shore planer board releases and mounted these to hold my 2 hooks for tying crawler harnesses as seen in the picture below.

They have plenty of tension to hold the hooks and this has worked great or me. It cost me nothing to make as I used components I already had.

With the brackets upright my hooks are 3 inches apart. I can also rotate the two metal brackets on their attachment screws, so the two hooks are either closer or farther apart as needed as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06959.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	102761
Old 08-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_obvious View Post
I've been tying single hook rigs for leeches/minnows and 1/2crawlers and have the snell down. However i cant seem to get the double hook harness down. I always have issues with getting the second hook the distance i want from the 1st hook. Any tips or links to a good tutorial on getting the hook separation where I want it?

Buy yourself two fly tying vices. Goto Walleyeworkshop.com Mike Gofron has a short video on how to tie them this way. Works great.