Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Has anyone had any issues with a roller trailer? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Wallhanger

i have to leave my ProV at quarter throttle, forward, to keep it on my roller trailer, otherwise it will roll off the trailer whereas my fathers Tyee (on a roller trailer) wouldn't roll off if there was a guy pushing at it going down a hill.
flip a coin, each have their benefits, any misalignments while loading my boat is easily corrected with a good push to the side and its done.
i like my roller... just my 2 cents
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footdoc55 View Post
I am planning to order this new Lund and I know nothing regarding trailers. I bought a prov in 1995 and it was new and came with a roller trailer. I used this roller trailer for 16 years with no roller issues. All of the salespeople I have talked with are telling me bunk is the only way to go. So, what do you think? Why are roller trailers given such a bad name and how do they go out of alignment? Thanks for your imput!
Bunk IS the only way to go. Once you switch from roller to bunk you'll want to kick yourself for not doing it 15 years ago.

Quote:
I agree roller trailers are easier to load and unload.
I would say just the opposite. I wrestled and wrestled my boats on roller trailers. Fish alone a lot I must say I can't believe how much easier a bunk trailer makes life.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 01-23-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 AM
Wallhanger

I have had both trailers, and for me bunks are the way to go. I fish alone at times also and never had issues loading or unloading with both trailers, but the way some of the conditions of the hwy are, I prefer a bunk is that it cradleds the boat much better. The boat sits on more area than on rollers.

Fisherman1792
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 AM
Wallhanger

Michigan law does not permit power-loading at state-owned ramps, so roller trailers are a real plus here. Where we've gone in Canada, launches are sometimes too shallow to float a boat onto the trailer- rollers work there too. I've had 3 rollers, zero problems. The keys:
- enough rollers- 1 for every 125 lbs of boat weight
- proper adjustment of the trailer
Old 01-24-2012, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

To each his own. I've had both..... traded the one roller (Shorelander) which came with my Tyee Grand Sport in for a bunk (Prestige). I'll never own another roller.

Don't you find it interesting that all the boat manufacturers who build their own trailers build bunk trailers? Ranger, BassCat, Skeeter, Legend, etc. are on nothing but bunks. Have you ever seen them build a roller?

Look at the pro fisherman who travel thousands of miles each year.........how many rollers do you see? The answer is obvious if you just look around.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Wallhanger

Always had bunks but when I bought my 1900 Prov I got a roller trailer; with extra large wheels. Besides the shallow launch advantage of rollers, they are useful when the person winching doesn't have a great deal of strength. My wife always backs the truck down and winches the boat. She couldn't do that with a bunk trailer. Unless I'm totally out to lunch driving my boat on the trailer it always loads straight, but all that said, I do plan to convert to a bunk trailer after a couple more years.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 AM
Wallhanger

First off I want to than all you who power load and ceate that hole from doing it, but then I'd like ya to get out and remove that shallow spot right after it.
It makes loading and unloading so much easier...

I think HRG has the best of both worlds.

I've had both over the years and prefer rollers as they work in shallow launches much better, but you do have to make sure the boats in the water before unhooking it.
I have the two alinement poles on each side and they help no matter whether it's bunk or roller, but especially roller imho
Seems easier to load and unload with the rollers too.

Al
Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Like others have mentioned they both have their specialties however a roller will work anywhere. Deep or shallow landing. That can't be said about bunks if you have a heavy boat.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I have had both. Although bunks probably worked the best, I still liked the ease of unloading with the rollers. The only problem with rollers is that when unloading by myself or loading, the boat took off on me a few times. Leaving the motor in gear while climbing out to attach it to the winch was not in my best interest because if the motor gave one cough and quit just as I had one leg over the bow onto the hitch and the other still in the bow....well you can probably visualize what happens.
I now have the best of both worlds. I took off the back rollers and installed factory 52" bunks but left both "gangs' of rollers on the front. As long as I leave 1/3 of the bunks out of the water at the launch I can run it up onto the trailer and it does not move while I climb over the front and attach the winch hook.
Looking at the Shoreland'r website, they have roller /bunk combinations but the rollers on the front are only keel rollers. The rollers I left on the front are on each side of the keel. Each gang consists of 4 cushioned rollers. My trailer is a tandem 4,000#.
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
Noco Genius Battery Chargers
w5
Old 01-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Wallhanger

I have always had bunk and on my last Lund I ordered it and it came with a roller trailer, I forgot to ask. Well I can't tell much of a difference. Except my boat has almost rolled off on a steep ramp, so I keep the bow line on until in the water. I think bunks are easier to maintain, but I haven't had to do any maintenance on my rollers.

I can't say anything wrong with the roller trailer, I have had some tough ramps to launch on and it is easy to push the boat off. Just be careful with the boat rolling off when you don't want it to.

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

C.S. Lewis