Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
When is a tandem axle necessary? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 08-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Wallhanger

Default When is a tandem axle necessary?

My new boat came with a single axle trailer. However, I've seen the exact same set up with a tandem axle trailer. Curious as to why?

Is it just a money thing or is there some real merit in a tandem axle on a rig where a single axle is enough?
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Wallhanger

Default 18 seems to be the cutoff

I have been doing a lot of research on this, since I'm getting ready to order a new boat and it seems that 18 footers are single axle and 19 are tandem, with a few 18 foot boats upgrading to tandem. I did the math and for me and have talked to a couple guys that do the Ranger TestRide that put over 10,000 miles a year on a single axle trailer under an 1860 angler with no problems, that made up my mind, not worth the $1200 to upgrade to the tandem in my case.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Keeper

The difference in load capacity between the two on the same rig is likely no more than 500 lbs. Some people prefer single axle, some prefer tandem.

A tandem typically provides smoother towing, less sway, backs up nicely, and gives a piece of mind that if a tire blow out occurs you won't lose control of the trailer and can limp along to some place where the tire can be safely changed or repaired. The downsides are you have less maneuverability, higher initial cost ($1200 to $1500 more), and another set of tires, hubs, axles to maintain.

The single axle is more maneuverable, lower initial cost and lower cost to maintain. The downsides are not as smooth while towing (compared to a tandem), more trailer sway, and a tire blow out can be pretty dangerous.

I've tossed this around quite a bit, and like 1860 said... there are a lot of single axles that get a lot of miles on them every year without incident. With that said, I've convinced myself that the advantages out weigh the cost so my next rig will have a tandem axle... I think .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Dan,
You need a tandem axle trailer when the two tires can not carry the load, so you need 4 tires.

Basically look at about the heaviest load that you can put on the two reasonably sided 8 or 10 ply tires and you are at your load limits.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8172629AAfry6e

http://www.ehow.com/how_8096498_dete...y-trailer.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...e-trailer.html
Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchinJigs View Post
and a tire blow out can be pretty dangerous.

I am interested in real experiences of a tire blow out on a single axle trailer.

Several years ago I experienced a single axle tire blowout at 70mph on an interstate with a trailer gross weight of about 3000 pounds. Ambient temperature was mid 90's. The blow out wrecked my fender to the extent that I needed a wrecker to pry things right at road side in order to remove to wheel even though much of the tire was gone.

When the blow out occurred, I experienced noticeable noise and vibration, and a look in my side view mirror showed some smoke. I was able to brake in a controlled manner and steered to the side. I did not sense a control problem.

This encounter has given me added confidence regarding the outcome of a tire blowout. Is my confidence misguided? Has anyone experienced loss of control?
Old 08-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

DW,
This is on an automobile.
I was born and raised in Montana at the time where there were no daytime speed limits.

It was my second car and I was on the way home after a long night at work in a remote location. I was tooling along the 2 lane blacktop at about 90 mph. I had a blow out on my rear drivers tire.

A 2nd later, I was still tooling along at 90mph, but now I was in the opposite lane. Fortunately for me, there was no traffic - coming or going on the road. So, I was able to steer, slow and drive to the right shoulder where I changed the tire in a few minutes and was off running again.

Or take the case of my grandfather, who was driving a 1946 on a dirt road in the farm sides of Montana in about 1950. He was cruising along about 50, when he had a blow out on the front passenger wheel of his car. Now, the bad thing about this blow out, was that it partially blew the tire off the rim of the wheel. When, this happened, the tire wrapped around the wheel, and then the axle and instantly stopped the wheel from turning. This resulted in a hard right turn, which drove him off of the road into a plowed field that was soft enough to stop him and to keep his car from overturning. So, again, he was fortunate, was able to saw the tire off of the car with a saw that he happened to have in the car, change the tire and with the help of a nearby farmer, get pulled from the plowed field to continue his journey.

Blowing tires at highway speeds can really cause big issues with trailers, autos, trucks and drivers. This is even more pronounced with the advent of steel belted radials. As I related on another post, when I had blow outs on my RV and had the steel belt separate and begin to fly around at 60 mph, the 8 foot long flying steel tire belt causes huge amounts of damage.

Be safe
REW
Old 08-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Wallhanger

When I bought my boat, it came with a trailer. Coming home one trip, the left tire blew. We were on the highway with very narrow shoulders. I got over as far as I could, but that was not very far. As I changed the tire, semi's were whizzing by 3' from my rear. One car, I don't think saw me on the side of the road and almost hit me. THAT WAS ENOUGH. When we got home, I ordered a tandem axle trailer, and have not looked back. If I now get a flat, I can limp along to a safe place to change it. Safety first.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Wallhanger

I like the added safety factor. I now wish I would have gone tandem from the get-go. for grins and giggles, I just shot off a email to Shoreland'r asking if a tandem axle conversion is possible with my trailer. The number off the frame bundle seems to cross with a couple tandem axle models. So... We'll just wait to hear back from the trailer guys and go from there.

Thanks much for the responses!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
DW,
This is on an automobile.
I was born and raised in Montana at the time where there were no daytime speed limits.

It was my second car and I was on the way home after a long night at work in a remote location. I was tooling along the 2 lane blacktop at about 90 mph. I had a blow out on my rear drivers tire.

A 2nd later, I was still tooling along at 90mph, but now I was in the opposite lane. Fortunately for me, there was no traffic - coming or going on the road. So, I was able to steer, slow and drive to the right shoulder where I changed the tire in a few minutes and was off running again.

Or take the case of my grandfather, who was driving a 1946 on a dirt road in the farm sides of Montana in about 1950. He was cruising along about 50, when he had a blow out on the front passenger wheel of his car. Now, the bad thing about this blow out, was that it partially blew the tire off the rim of the wheel. When, this happened, the tire wrapped around the wheel, and then the axle and instantly stopped the wheel from turning. This resulted in a hard right turn, which drove him off of the road into a plowed field that was soft enough to stop him and to keep his car from overturning. So, again, he was fortunate, was able to saw the tire off of the car with a saw that he happened to have in the car, change the tire and with the help of a nearby farmer, get pulled from the plowed field to continue his journey.

Blowing tires at highway speeds can really cause big issues with trailers, autos, trucks and drivers. This is even more pronounced with the advent of steel belted radials. As I related on another post, when I had blow outs on my RV and had the steel belt separate and begin to fly around at 60 mph, the 8 foot long flying steel tire belt causes huge amounts of damage.

Be safe
REW

This isn't meant to sound rude but those are terrible examples.....one excessive speed in a car another 60 year old tire technology on another car.

I hear people talk about unsafe blowouts on single axle trailers on the internet but have never known anyone or heard in person anyone with this problem.

Last edited by oldschooltiller; 08-05-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Wallhanger

I had a single axle trailer blowout six weeks ago at 60+ mph. Vibration got my attention that something was up and a second later BOOM! At no time was there a feeling of a loss of control. just a lot of noise and a leaning trailer in the mirror. I also had to bend my fender sheetmetal back in place with a pair of large visegrips so I wouldn't ruin the spare.